Looking For Advice To Widen Groove on Bearing

m_ridzon

Registered
Registered
Hello, I'm new here and just a novice with understanding of the basics. I have 8 u-joint cups that I need to machine on my lathe, to fit my lawn tractor. In the attached picture, the blue arrow is showing a groove that I need to widen 0.040" to fit my driveshaft yoke. The material is quite hard, but my carbide cutter does seem to cut it when I tested one. I'm looking for any tips or feedback on how best to do this. So far, the only idea I came up with was to move the cutter in X to the depth of the existing groove. Then back out and slide Z slightly to make another X cut. I would repeat this process until 0.040" has been removed in Z.

Attachments

• P1260350.jpg
    P1260350.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 26
Should work. But I would mount it in 4 jaw to eliminate any runout. Just go slow as that is very hard material

I also contemplated some type of grinding setup on the lathe, instead of the carbide cutter. But I've never seen that done on a lathe and don't know if it's possible and/or sensible.

I also contemplated some type of grinding setup on the lathe, instead of the carbide cutter. But I've never seen that done on a lathe and don't know if it's possible and/or sensible.
If the carbide cuts it without a great deal of difficulty that's what I would do. I avoid grinding on my lathe and if it is a necessity be sure to cover the ways so the grit does not damage them. If I had to do this with a grinder I would use an air powered pencil grinder held in a collet on my toolpost or clamped into a toolholder. Cut the groove to new dimension with a cutoff wheel.

Place in 4jaw.

Use carbide cutter with good corner edge.

With rpm slow (first one) bring in until it just starts to touch.

Move carriage until it now just touches where material needs to be removed and stop.

Fixture a dial indicator on the ways to indicate carriage travel.

Set for higher rpm and take your cut by moving carriage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back