Looking for an AXA holder, but can't find the one I need!

Lemon Banjo

Registered
Registered
I have a Frankenstein of a lathe setup. I turn banjo rims, for those who want to know. Anyhow, it's a Nova Comet 14DR wood lathe upgraded with a 2" riser block, Palmgren milling table, Smithy compound rest, and Ajax AXA tool post and holders. However, I have a project coming up that I gotta have a 1-1/4" boring bar for. I can't find an AXA holder that will hold a 1-1/4" boring bar. Are there any out there that don't cost more than $80?

If not (and I suspect there isn't), what about this solution? Getting a BXA or CXA and having it somehow modified to work with my AXA tool post?

I'm kinda desperate here, and need help.

Why does the boring bar need to be 1 1/4"?
Because I bought a carbide 5/16 radius bit that was only available in a 1/2" shank, and the only boring bars I could find that can hold a 1/2 bit are 1-1/4" diameter.

If I could find one of these with a 1-1/4" hole and a 1/2" shank, it'd be perfect.
1643167246686.png

Even if you could find a tool holder to fit your AXA tool post, you may not be able to drop it low enough to hit the spindle centerline. Your best bet may be to grind the shank of your tool to fit a smaller boring bar.

Did you ever find that tool bit holder you were looking for? Can we see a picture of this lathe? It's got 16" of swing right? Im just adding the 2" to the 14 in the model number. Lol
I know you aren't a metal worker, but it looks like you may have to become one. Ha
What about boring your own tool holder in the lathe out of hardwood? Make a big block you can bolt down and then offset the boring bar in the 4 jaw for a custom fitted,exactly on position boring bar holder.

If I could find one of these with a 1-1/4" hole and a 1/2" shank...
Can you find a welding shop to affix a clamp-able wing to the bar? As long as you don't need
fine adjustment of tilt angle and such...

Either that, or a holddown like this mill holddown on top, and V block and shims below,
can replace the AXA holder. The AXA mounts over a threaded hole, I trust?

At that thickness, I think I'd cut a dovetail in the bar and skip the holder.

I'm confused once again . :grin: What exactly are you looking for ? Can you post a drawing or pic ?

Back