Looking for an outside mic set

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have 0-1, and 0-2 outside mic's but have found in my automotive endeavors I need the larger sizes, up to 6". I saw this on Ebay, and would like feed back on price, condition, and what would you offer? Thank you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITUTOYO-MICROMETER-SET-0-6-Standards-WOODEN-CASE-103-907-Great-Condition/113330036047?_trkparms=aid=888007&algo=DISC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131227121020&meid=bb5b4ffad1ec493b84a96cbb89d264eb&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=323540856815&itm=113330036047&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Last edited:
Looks near mint. Some rust on the thimbles but few signs of use on any of the mics. These are carbide tipped mics, which is good. The 0-1 and 1-2" mics are friction thimbles; the rest are ratcheting thimbles.

Current price for a new set is $642 on Amazon. The fact that it is used and shows signs of rust drops the price down to about 50%, at least for me, so I would offer the guy $300 and see what happens.

I'll give it a try, thank you as always. Do the standards add any value to the price asked?

I have seen numerous examples of American made sets similar to the Mituoyo set proposed for less money --- Buy American!

The Sterrett, Brown, and Sharp that is saw were a bit more blemished. I am absolutely open to suggestions before I buy

I have 3 sets of mics that can go . Brand new Starretts , Mits etc. Shoot me another pm !

I'll give it a try, thank you as always. Do the standards add any value to the price asked?

No, they are included with the set so I wouldn't let that influence you. On the other hand, a PM to mmcmdl might be in order first.

I am in communication with Dave, he's checking his inventory. Thank you for your expertise with the Ebay ad.

It certainly looks like a usable set, and the price isn't totally out of line. However there are several other nearly identical sets on eBay ranging in price from $729 for a brand new set to around $300.00 for a more well used set. Since the seller has included "Best Offer" it appears the price is somewhat negotiable. I would offer in the range of $325.00 range or around 30% less than the asking price. Personally I refuse to pay more than 50% of the retail price for a used item unless the seller is offering a written warranty equal to what the manufacturer originally included. The most the seller can do is say no. More than likely he will offer a more reasonable price.

It's important to be informed as to the everyday retail price of anything being offered on eBay. Often times sellers rely on impulse buyers and are able to overcharge for their items. There are currently several online vendors offering the same set (103-907) new for $615.00 and change. The new ones come with a warranty from Mitutoyo. If the seller comes back with a less than acceptable price inform him that you are unwilling to over 80% of the price of the same item new with a warranty.

Thank you, I wanted to see what a reasonable offer would be for the item. I'm grateful for the guidance here.

Back