Looking for boring head and boring bars for PM-25MV mill

Okay, I scored the Criterion DBL-202B on eBay, but it needs the set screws and ball bearings. Does anyone know where I can get these? Allied directly Or, MSC?

@devils4ever you will be glad you went that route (used Criterion vs new Chinerion), and I will go out on a limb and say you will realize probably sooner than later that you dodged a bullet. I bought two different china boring heads, two-piece type with the threaded arbor. I could not get good results with them, and started to wonder if I was any good at shop work. Turns out the fit and finish matter a whole bunch on a boring head. It needs to adjust predictably, tighten up without moving, and NOT wobble when the arbors were threaded in! I bought a Yuasa Japan on the bay and now I can bore good holes... and will be doing so for a lifetime, Allah willing.

Does anyone know the deal with the model numbers for these heads?

I see models DBL-202B and CB-202B. Are they the same? Did CB-202B replace DBL-202B? I get the feeling that the CB-202B model is the newer version of the DBL-202B, but I can't tell for sure.

CBs are their newest models. DBLs are no longer made by Criterion. I have no idea what the differences are, never looked into it.

Okay, I scored the Criterion DBL-202B on eBay, but it needs the set screws and ball bearings. Does anyone know where I can get these? Allied directly Or, MSC?

You don't need to buy genuine replacement parts for these. They should just be standard size set screws. You can get replacements from Mcmaster (will be in bulk quanities though) or your local hardware store. Ball bearing quality/hardness may vary from your local hardware store though.

Here's an update.

I bought the used ebay boring head mentioned above, but the seller was a little deceitful. One of the gib screw holes was messed up and unusable. The ball bearing was jammed in there and the threads were messed up. I sent it back and I'm waiting for a refund. Ebay picked up return shipping. See pics below.

So, I decided to buy new. I got the boring head from MSC via ebay for $300 and I bought a R8 shank from MSC's regular website.

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

Wish I would have seen this earlier. I have 2 criterion boring heads that I’ve never used

I used this boring head over the weekend.

I noticed a little "reluctance" for the R8 shank to go all the way into the spindle. The last 1/4" or so was not cooperating. It required gentle persuasion. I even removed the alignment screw in the spindle, but it didn't help.

I have other R8 arbor tooling that doesn't have this problem. It this shank built to tighter tolerances? I didn't see any marks on the shank indicating where it was hanging up.

Back