Looking For Collet adapter For SB 16

no1boatguy

Registered
Registered
Hello Everybody

Anyone have a tapered collet adapter for a south bend 16? Could use draw bar as well

Thanks
Dan

The actual collet adapter is the same for the 13, 14 1/2, and 16. The draw bars are all different, and the 13 uses a smaller spindle protector. Several of the collet adapters have been on eBay recently listed for the 13. I picked one up for my 14 1/2 and made my own draw bar.

I thought the 14 1/2 and 13 were 2/14" X 6 . My 16 is 2/ 3/8 X 6. What you are telling me is good to know and I appreciate the information. I will definitely look into that.

The 14 1/2 and 16 are 2 3/8-6. The 13 is 2 1/4-8. And the spindles are different length, affecting the draw bar. But the internal taper is the same for all three such that the collet adapter itself is the same. I verified part numbers before ordering mine.

The is one right now on eBay that ends tomorrow night.

The 14 1/2 and 16 are 2 3/8-6. The 13 is 2 1/4-8. And the spindles are different length, affecting the draw bar. But the internal taper is the same for all three such that the collet adapter itself is the same. I verified part numbers before ordering mine.

The is one right now on eBay that ends tomorrow night.
Hi Randy
I looked on ebay and did not see one could you send me a link?

If your goal is speed you can always machine a backplate to attach a pullback chuck. A lever action draw bar is really fast, but a hand wheel draw bar isn't to bad, and its an order of magnitude cheaper. Its also easily machinable if you want to just make one. (The draw bar.)

If your goal is just repeatable and decent concentricity a good quality collet chuck mounted on a machined to fit back plate will likely cost less. Than a pullback chuck. Of course a 4 jaw chuck will accomplish the same thing at the expense of a little more setup time until you get more practice at dialing it in.

Another alternative (and I have done this) is to get a straight shank collet chuck, mount it in your 4 jaw, and dial it in. Then you only have to fumble with the 4 jaw once.

Wow. Nice adapter find. Snap that one up quick. I gave up on finding one for my PM14x40.

Believe me, it won't stay at that price. The professional snipers will push it into three digits in the last five seconds, for sure.

Back