Looking for decent flash light and head-lamp........

:grin: I use a ton of Milwaukee lights myself , along with Bud lights , Coors lights ……………..well , you get the picture . ;) Interesting hobby , never heard of this before .

darkzero,
I have an ex-girlfriend who would chide me about the number of flashlights I used to buy as LED technology was evolving. I'm going to send her the picture of your workstation / collection with the caption "I never had it this bad". :grin:

My D Cell Maglights came into disuse when LED technology showed up. I just ordered an LED replacement bulb that
will work with 3 D Cells so will see how that works out. Several of my D cell Maglights ended up being machined into 3 inch
cylinders and adding a handle and some lead to make some nice looking lead hammers. The aluminum case on the
lead makes the hammer last a lot longer and keeps the lead from splaying out into a huge mushroom shape. As far as
LED technology is concerned, I try to stick to lights that have 2 AA batteries as the flashlights using AAA batteries
don't last long and also use 3 batteries usually.

If you decide to go the rechargeable 18650 route one very important aspect that i don't believe was covered above is that 18650 batteries are different from each other not only in the Quality as mentioned but also in how slowly or quickly that particular brand is able to dump its load which should be a determining factor based on the type of electronic item you plan on powering!

Last edited:
It has been my experience that as alkaline cells near their end of life, they become intermittent. It appears to be an internal phenomenon as polishing the contacts doesn't help. I suspect it has to do with a high resistance developing around the nail in the center of the cell.

I have been using Guidesman high intensity flashlights for the past several years. I have six of them located in strategic places in home, office, shop, car, and boat.They are waterproof, focusable, and have outputs between 500 and 1500 lumens. To date, I have not experienced a switch problem. Should one occur, the switch is located in the end cap and It could easily be replaced.

I recently picked up the seeker 2 from Olight. It has a low, medium, and high setting. The high setting will seriously light up the night. Rechargeable too. Pretty awesome light. They had a flash sale and I picked it up for 70 bucks.

Just me, but I can't stand the multi level, flash, strobe, shine your shoes models. Simple on-off please. Having to push the button 3-4 four times, every time you turn it on or off, just drives me nuts. I love all the 18V lights that come with the drill/driver sets, as you can set them down and aim them at your work area, and have never had an issue with any of them. Will have to look into the rechargeable lights, as I'm also getting tired of supporting the battery industry. Cold fusion powered would be nice. Mike

Thanks for all the responses!
You've given me a lot of research to do......but keep 'em coming.

Initially it looks like very few vendors talk about gold contacts in the switches.
That might just be a deal-breaker for me.
I am convinced that the intermittents I see are bad switches.

A few of you have bubbled to the top of knowledge on the subject, and I will be back to ask questions.

Thanks again!
-brino

Back