Looking for decent flash light and head-lamp........

candlepowerforums.com The guys there are insanely obsessed with flashlights.

Personally, I like the little AAA cell LED flashlight from Harbor Freight. I use two rechargeable Eneloop batteries and an external charger. For $7 the thing has held up amazingly well. And when the contacts start to become intermittent I will just get a new one for $7.

If you want a super bright light, look at the bicycle lights. They run around $100 but they are blindingly bright and well built.

I feel your pain Brino, been there done that, especially tossed them to break on purpose! For any kind of work I don't use anything except a headlight anymore. I buy all my stuff in outdoor stores as they seem to be better quality. I have a Petzl that's over 15yrs old and while all my Maglites have quit, everytime I pick up that Petzl it works. It's super tiny, funny little thing. Folds and wads up in a little plastic pod. I guess Petzl was the inventor of headlights for backpackers and climbers. Mine uses a button battery and has a funny little switch with different modes but seems to get amazing light and time.

Also have a bulkier Princeton Tec that hasn't failed me yet and uses AA's. Like has been noted if you want painfully bright and rechargeable bike lites are the bomb. I have a NR Lumina 550 that on the low setting you can't look at from two blocks away during the day! Expensive but ruggedly made, waterproof and BRIGHT! I've used it for a flashlight a couple of times, wow.

Like dlane, I have a Fenix LED flashlight. Best flashlight I've ever owned. It's smaller than a two cell maglite but the light
output is MUCH greater. I bought one that takes double A's, not a proprietary rechargeable battery so that I can take
it camping and not depend on outlets.

I've owned several Maglites, never had an issue with them, well except for the tiny AAA ones. Those don't seem to hold up so well. I wouldn't go as far as Mikein OR and call them obsolete C and D cell flash lights are becoming specialized, perhaps useful for aircraft spotting at night... The last AA Mini-Mag I bought was an LED version and it outperforms my older 2 and 3 D cell halogen lights at probably 1/8 the size and weight.

For a Headlamp, I started using a Black Diamond Icon for work about 10 years ago, and it is a great headlamp. In fact I still use the first one I bought. It uses 4 AA and has a low and high settings, low is more than sufficient for more than 90% of my needs. The batteries last for weeks of extensive use when primarily used on the low setting. It is on the large side though, it goes onto a helmet at work. A smaller model might be desirable for casual use camping or around the house.

candlepowerforums.com The guys there are insanely obsessed with flashlights.

Screwed up 15+ yrs of my life! I sure do miss it but glad I was finally able to kick the addiction. :big grin:

I have been so frustrated by cheap flash lights and head lamps over the last week.

At work I was using a flash light (and an old hard drive platter as a mirror) to inspect some fans and my light kept blinking.
I would turn it off then on and it was okay for a bit, but then intermittent again.
I could bang it or lightly touch the switch and it was okay for another few minutes.

In the shop the other night I was using my head lamp for close-up spot lighting on a task. It too was intermittent.
I could bang it it was okay for a few minutes.
Then when I tried to turn it off I could not....it was stuck on.
I ended up throwing it on to the concrete floor where it did finally turn off as the AAA cells scattered off in various directions.

I need suggestions on some good flash lights and head lamps.

Are the Maglites still made well?
I see Lee Valley now has a number of Cree lights...has anyone tried those?
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...lights-and-headlights/67596-cree-led-headlamp
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...ghts-and-headlights/70631-suprabeam-headlamps
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...eadlights/74771-suprabeam-q7defend-flashlight

What I would like to find is high-end ones with great switches and great battery terminals.
I would pay for gold plated contacts in the switch and battery area, but no one seems to claim/advertise that.

Rechargeable (USB or wall-wart) would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Frustrated in the dark
-brino

I have carried a flashlight in my pocket daily for over 25 years. I worked as a paramedic and the need for a light is a daily affair and it has to be one you can rely on. I tried several of the cheap ones and finally spent some money ($100 range) about 15 years ago. I have had that light in my pocket daily since then and its still going strong. It takes the 123 3 Volt batteries and I maybe use two per year. The light I have is a JetBeam and I have several friends who have them as well. I also have a NiteCore light which I don't like as well but it sits next to my bed and gets frequent use as well. I would not shy away from a well-made light. The JetBeam have a lifetime warranty and that's hard to beat

Brino,
This is on you, you enabler you!:grin big: (MikeInOr, DeadAim, DarkZero, Aaron, DLane you have some culpability too)

Ok, so being delivered this week is a dual 18650 flashlight from Nitecore Nitecore EC4S because I NEED 1800 lumens when walking my dogs!

Oh, and of course I NEED some 3500 mAH 18650 Samsung batteries.

Oh, and since I'll have batteries to rotate, I need to try out one of those "cheap" Bangood Flashlight

Man and I thought the Hobby Machining rabbit hole was deep. I had NO idea people got so into flashlights!

Brino,
This is on you, you enabler you!:grin big: (MikeInOr, DeadAim, DarkZero, Aaron, DLane you have some culpability too)

Okay, I will shoulder my share of the blame!

I recently picked up a Coast brand head light and small flashlight as I needed something immediately.
They were available locally, were decently priced and have a lifetime warranty.
They do NOT say gold-plated contacts (which was one thing I wanted) but I'm hopeful that if they start flickering I can use the warranty.

I did do some searching on 18650 stuff, but there's just so many....I had no idea how deep this particular "rabbit hole" was.

-brino

Back