Looking For Feedback On This Potential Purchase: Powr Kraft Model 84 Tlc-2130

Putting a larger pulley on the motor would speed the lathe up, not slow it down. To achieve the original spindle speeds with a 3450 RPM motor, the smaller dia. motor pulley would have to be about 1-1/8" dia. Too small for a 3L or 4L belt.

Putting a larger pulley on the motor would speed the lathe up, not slow it down. To achieve the original spindle speeds with a 3450 RPM motor, the smaller dia. motor pulley would have to be about 1-1/8" dia. Too small for a 3L or 4L belt.
True.
Unless you found a larger one, (Pulley) for now at least, for the jack shaft.
Too bad you don't live around here, I could loan you a 1725 motor till you get your 3 phase and VFD.

True.
Unless you found a larger one, (Pulley) for now at least, for the jack shaft.
Too bad you don't live around here, I could loan you a 1725 motor till you get your 3 phase and VFD.

Thanks, but it's hardly worth moving... lol.

Honestly, as busy as work is becoming at the moment, I may wind up with money to go the vfd route before I have time to build my bench anyway. When it rains, it pours. Still, if it winds up ready to go when things get slow again it will all be worth it.

Well, the "busy" problem is still rearing its ugly head, but with that comes spare cash. I've been shopping for 3 phase motors and I talked to a guy today who has a collection of various motors that he's looking to liquidate. He says he has 3 phase motors that would be suitable for lathe use in 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 5hp. The motor in his ad was a Baldor 3538 which looks like it would be very comparable to the original motor, but all things (service factor, mounting style, duty rating, etc, etc...) being equal, I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with a 3/4 or 1hp. Is 1/2 hp sufficient, or should I go bigger?

3/4 or even 1/2 should be plenty if it's a U.S. made motor, the lathe wasn't designed to use a larger motor

Realistically, the 5 was never an option, but I'm considering even as large as the 1hp simply because I think the extra power may make belt position less critical. My thinking is that larger pieces = slower spindle speeds = heavier loads. The advice I read on one of the inverter supply outfits suggested that the practical limits for varying speed with non-inverter duty motors is about 20% to 120% (or 12hz to 72hz). With the right pulley that gives me a range of speeds equal to stock with only the back gear and frequency variation, without ever moving a belt. From a practical standpoint, that isn't really an option due to the mechanical advantage gained with the gearing, but an oversized motor makes this less of an issue. Of course I don't want so much power that I risk the machine tearing itself to pieces... I'm leaning towards the 3/4 - as I said, assuming the other specs are similar.

Your second-to-last sentence is the one to keep in your mind. 3/4hp should be your max.

I'm just stumbling across this thread months later, but I had to mention that I have almost exactly the same lathe (a Powr-Kraft model 2130). Mine is serial number 3124A, circa 1941. What's the serial number on your lathe?

The only significant difference is that mine has a quick change gear box, which is great for threading and power feeding. It came with a complete set of change gears, so I'm not sure if the gear-box was an upgrade or if it came from the store with it attached. Let me know if you're missing any gears. I can't imagine I'll ever need my gears for anything (famous last words) so I'd be willing to swap for 'em.

I replaced my motor but still have the original. It's in working order, but the wire coverings are in poor enough shape that I wouldn't want anyone else to use it (safety hazard).

It's a great little lathe, I've been having loads of fun with mine. I've figured out most of its idiosyncrasies. Let me know if anything has you stumped.

Here are some photos of mine (I've no interest in keeping it factory original — I've made a bunch of modifications to it). The previous owner welded together the bench. I still need to make a better chip pan for it.

IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG

Mine also had the original dauber. ;-)
--
Rex

Unless I'm not thinking entirely clearly, a larger pulley on the motor will make the spindle spin faster, not slower. The way to make this motor work is to put the smallest pulley I can on it.

$70 just for the sake of getting an original pulley seems a bit steep. That money that could be better saved for a VFD in the future. I think I'll make due for now and be happier in the long run with the ability to dial in a speed at will.
Correct, you would need HALF size pulley to use that motor.
I'd go with a VFD or D/C motor and speed control.
0P what did you come up with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back