Looking for GENUINE Allen brand T-handle wrenches

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently saw a video in which the presenter sang the praises of T-handle Allen wrench sets. He went to some length to explain that the Allen brand wrenches were made of a better, stronger alloy than other brands. I've been searching all over the web for such an item, but no joy. The term "Allen" has become as generic as Kleenex and Band Aid, so all the sets I've found so far have been other brands.

Can anybody provide a link to a source of genuine Allen brand T-handle hex key wrench sets?

Thanks!

My basement . :grin: The so called Protanium Bohndus wrench"s are the newest hype , I just posted a thread the other day . The old RED Allens are the best if you can find them . JMO , but I use them nightly .

My basement . :grin: The so called Protanium Bohndus wrench"s are the newest hype , I just posted a thread the other day . The old RED Allens are the best if you can find them . JMO , but I use them nightly .

You are talking about these, correct?

IMG_9049.jpeg

I got mine (metric and SAE) from the same person when I bought the used HF lathe... I have to say, kind of my go-to set now... outside of needing the other style for tight spaces, these Bohndus work great...

You are talking about these, correct?
So , any tee handle wrenches work for general duty . Your older sets are great . The older Allen's are much beefier . They are red handled . The newer Protaniums ? I have them and do use them , but for tightening dies , the old Allen's are my go to's . I have a 100 sets of different brands . General purposes , none are better than the other . I bury them in the backyard when I get too many . No , I'm not kidding or BSing here . Everyone has the newest , best , strongest steel and handles these days . Once again , the old iron stands true . :grin:

Oh... you were talking about different ones. Got it.

Unless they are older ones (pre Apex) maybe, I call BS. Only way to find them is NOS. If you weren't aware, the last owners of Allen is Apex. Apex killed off the Allen brand years ago in favor of their Crescent brand. About the same time Apex also killed off the Armstrong brand in favor of Gearwrench.

I'm still mad about Armstrong, Allen not so much. I'm surprised they haven't killed off the Lufkin brand yet but it pretty much is, it's called Lufkin Crescent now. I liked Danaher but I not a fan of the Apex Tool group.

Allen-T-Handle-Ball-Hex-Driver-Set.jpg

I'm hell on allen...errr...hex wrenches and the best T-handle I've found, at any price, are the Carlyle from Napa. I know, I know, Napa is like the Horror Fraught of car parts so I understand your skepticism! But, I was complaining about how much Bondhus had declined over the years and a recently retired college auto shop teacher told me about the Carlyles. I bought an SAE set and have since added metric and Torx. I've not stripped, twisted, or deformed a single one yet (a new record!).

A lot of the brands that were great 'yesterday' have declined, and most are still declining.

GsT

Thanks! I just ordered a set of metric and a set of SAE from Napa on line.

Back