Looking for help for vfd for Boxford

You want some form of interlock so the machine will not start if you reset the E-Stop or put the cover on and the machine is in the forward or reverse run mode. A bit difficult in this scenario because you do not know what the switches are wired too. I typically use a 2 pole latching relay that acts after the E-Stop. The E-Stop (and other interlocks like the cover switch) powers the latching interlock relay either via a neutral stop position in the run direction selector and/or via a NO run button (i.e. it provides power to the 2 pole relay so it energizes and latches). One side of the relay activates the latch power, the other side makes a connection to the VFD run inputs.

Ah OK
Did you follow that Moper? Inside your contactor block you would have a pair of poles, one for the latching function, the other one for the enable line
Stop button drops out the contactor and shuts the system down
Draw that out showing the 2 poles rather than just a box, it'll make sense
MKSJ do you use a 110 volt contactor or a low volt one w/xfmr?

Last edited:
Here is a beginning: (contact closure goes to forward/reverse switch and VFD inputs)
2polelatchckt.jpeg(ignore the numbers)

Ah OK
Did you follow that Moper? Inside your contactor block you would have a pair of poles, one for the latching function, the other one for the enable line
Stop button drops out the contactor and shuts the system down
Draw that out showing the 2 poles rather than just a box, it'll make sense
MKSJ do you use a 110 volt contactor or a low volt one w/xfmr?
Yes have been checking contactors out this is as i the lines i was thinking along .So this pretty much confirms its thank you .

Thanks for the input so far .I have also been checking on both my lathe motor and my drill press motor and it seems that both can be configures to run 220volt 3 phase as required .So i guess my next step is to buy some vfds .I am looking at the mitsubishi fr-d720s-2.2k units .These actualy use 24volt signal inputs and i believe they allready have a start function built in .My plan for the lathe is to actually remove the front control panel and forward reverse drum switch completely just leaving me the 2 wires for existing safety switches and 3 motor wires. I will the fabricate a new control pane door and rewire with all new switches etc .This way if i ever want to chang lathe back to original i have the panel with all switch gear there ready to go .

Attachments

• 20190726_112209.jpg
    20190726_112209.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190726_111051.jpg
    20190726_111051.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190726_110611.jpg
    20190726_110611.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190726_110624.jpg
    20190726_110624.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190726_103501.jpg
    20190726_103501.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190726_103817.jpg
    20190726_103817.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3
Given the age of the machines and motors, and for what you are going to pay for 2 VFD's have you considered an RPC? You can use a VFD with an older motor but you need to keep the carrier frequency lower, around 2-4kHz so a bit of a whine when using them. Mitsubishi are not a common VFD in hobby circles, all though a few people have used them. I would recommend going with the Teco drives, a little easier to configure. If you are looking for drives with a removal front panel and also the ability to handle an external braking resistor (should be used with the lathe) then I would look at the Teco E-510 series, something like the EE510-201-H-U (1 Hp), EE510-202-H-U (2Hp) motor. They are a little less then say the Hitachi WJ200 and the front removal panel is nice. Check with the dealer, as you may need an extension cable and not all versions have a removable front panel. Wolf Automation has better tech. support, price wise very close. I can look into suggested program parameters, but I feel an RPC may be an easier and maybe less expensive at the end of the day.
1Hp
2Hp

As far as relays/mini contactors and auxiliary power for the lathe latch, I typically use a small 24VDC power supply in the range of 50-75W. These run off of any input power from 100-240VAC, and are inexpensive. I use the MeanWell power supplies, or the Rhino from Automation Direct. The relay/mini contactor only takes a small amount of power, but you can run 24V LED lighting, tachs, etc. I do not use AC relays, as the latch can drop out in some cases. The relay plugs into a base and you wire up the base. On the mill, I would juts use the remote panel. I get most of my supplies from Automation Direct.

Given the age of the machines and motors, and for what you are going to pay for 2 VFD's have you considered an RPC? You can use a VFD with an older motor but you need to keep the carrier frequency lower, around 2-4kHz so a bit of a whine when using them. Mitsubishi are not a common VFD in hobby circles, all though a few people have used them. I would recommend going with the Teco drives, a little easier to configure. If you are looking for drives with a removal front panel and also the ability to handle an external braking resistor (should be used with the lathe) then I would look at the Teco E-510 series, something like the EE510-201-H-U (1 Hp), EE510-202-H-U (2Hp) motor. They are a little less then say the Hitachi WJ200 and the front removal panel is nice. Check with the dealer, as you may need an extension cable and not all versions have a removable front panel. Wolf Automation has better tech. support, price wise very close. I can look into suggested program parameters, but I feel an RPC may be an easier and maybe less expensive at the end of the day.
1Hp
2Hp

As far as relays/mini contactors and auxiliary power for the lathe latch, I typically use a small 24VDC power supply in the range of 50-75W. These run off of any input power from 100-240VAC, and are inexpensive. I use the MeanWell power supplies, or the Rhino from Automation Direct. The relay/mini contactor only takes a small amount of power, but you can run 24V LED lighting, tachs, etc. I do not use AC relays, as the latch can drop out in some cases. The relay plugs into a base and you wire up the base. On the mill, I would juts use the remote panel. I get most of my supplies from Automation Direct.
I hear what you say about RPC and have browsed over them a bit online but have had no experience with them .In saying this from what i understand is you would have the ability to just plug existing units into it and off you go however you would lack the option of variable speed .braking and also a RPC would need leads running around the floor to reach to it were as a vfd diectly on machine is just plug into a wall socket .
Given yes the lathe and mill are quite old The Lathe and drill will see some use but not constant only be used as general hobby and not pushed hard .Im all new to the vfd as you can tell but was in the mind of thinking if i can get a couple of years out of the old motors even if there is a little noise id be happy .

I was only looking at mitsubishi as it is easily available in thailand and i have friends with a drilling company and they have had good results from the mitsu units .I was also looking at the same teco e510 as you suggested and yes have to agree its a good unit to id be happy to use it if available in thailand at a reasonable price .maybe there are some advantages of rpc that im not aware of and would like to know if im missing something or if someone can enlighten me
Thanks for the help mksj

Hi Moper yes definitely buy what you can find locally if it is Mitsubishi that's great

Well thanks everyone for the help and input .Over the last three weeks or so i have managed to build up my new control panel as i plan to keep old switch gear etc complete so made a whole new panel.
I have had it all connected up to a spare motor i have and after doing some basic settings everything is working as planned running nice smmoth and quiet .all my forward reverse switching and foot pedal work well along with tachometer etc .I just need to get it set up in lathe now and then do a little more fine tuning .
I purchased the huanyang 1.5kw vfd and mitsubishi 1hp motor .

Attachments

• line_1565605555210.jpg
    line_1565605555210.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 5
  • line_1565605595189.jpg
    line_1565605595189.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 4
Back