[Newbie] Looking for help

jland

Registered
Registered
very new to machining bought a bardons and oliver no.2 turret lathe when I bought it didn't no anything about lathes other than watching a few people run one and youtube every thing on it is in really good condition the one thing I overlooked was the carrage doesn't have a power feed and there is no lead screw the turret does have power feed so my question is can I replace the carrage with one that has an apron with a power feed I really don't need a lead screw but if there was a way to add that that would be great I picked this lathe up on the cheep side so putting money into it to fit my needs won't be to big of deal with in reason either way I plan on repainting it modernize some if the wiring and making it something I can be proud of and with said very little knowledge of machining but am a welder fabricator by trade and ferly mechanically inclined so modifying ant to big of an issue either way way first time posting glad to be here and thanks in advance

I had a #2 B&O in my shop and used it for production work making large lots of identical parts; for me it was a money maker, but it is near useless for ordinary shop work and required lots of expensive tooling to be useful, my advice is let it go and find a regular engine lathe.

I think that's the best advise I'm gonna get and the advise im gonna take in the meantime its to cool of a machine to scrap and I don't wanna be the one to do that so I'm gonna clean it up and paint it make run decent either the next guy will use it or it will look cool in my shop

Another thing is that it takes a collet that is not so common, but they also take a standard bolt on chuck.

yeah it has all the collets and a three jaw chuck came with it it also has all the stuff for the bar feed just in pieces

Mine had all that stuff and lots of tooling, it is still doing the same things and jobs that I did.

that is awesome l really like things like that thats back when america built things to last and the fact that it still runs still today is very cool

Personally, I consider machine tools within my age group (est, 1944} to be modern, they are mostly designs from the 1930s, and if in good condition, will do a day's work even yet, they nay be a bit slow running (also like me) but they get the job done. My first good lathe was an American High Duty built in 1916, it did a lot of work before I bought it and a good bit more when I owned it, I imagine that it is still doing it's job. I replaced it with a LeBlond Regal 19" of 1944 vintage, taken off a Liberty Ship, with little wear, it resides in my home shop now, as the buyer of my business did not want it.

Back