Looking for ideas for a drill press caddy

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not finding much that's commercial nor DIY for holding several items like t-slot scraper, chuck key, arbor wedge, t-nuts, oil can, drill index, misc, etc., etc., for my new-to-me 20in drill press.

Any ideas?

Wilton_drill_press1.jpg

An arbor wedge is properly called a drill drift; my drill press caddy is called a 30 gallon oil drum. Nice drill press!

An arbor wedge is properly called a drill drift; my drill press caddy is called a 30 gallon oil drum. Nice drill press!

Drill drift!

That's the term that escaped me when I made my post! Thanks.

Not a bad drill press for $100 on Craigslist eh? Not a single drill hit in the table nor the included vise! Only needed a belt, a cleaning of the column and the belt adjustment mechanism re-inserted.

Yeah, I know, I suck! :)

I had something like this I got from Harbor Freight. I don't see it on their website now but it was basically a plastic disk that had a Z shaped rod that was attached to the column. You could build something like this from wood or metal, it had blind holes that were sized for drill bits and was about 14" diameter. Worked great until it broke, I might make something like it again someday.

John

I assume the guy got what he asked for and was happy with that, that makes it OK.

That looks a lot like the Craftsman I bought from Sears back in 1986. Mine is still going strong. It rattles a bit but still works!
I made one something like this for woodworking. The fence is handy. I have clamps that go in the T-Slots. If you google "Drill press caddy" (or caddie) you will see this and a couple of others. The drawers that clamp to the column look interesting too.

1590706415412.png
1590706514027.png

Also check out youtube "izzyswan". He has a bunch of jigs and ideas. I think he has some for the drill press.

A trick I stole from my dad is to put a small magnet inside the handle of a decent paint brush for use as a chip broom.

My grandfather did something similar with a magnet on and old oil can on his drill press column.

My chuck key I keep on a tether - otherwise they walk off.

Last edited:
Back