Looking for information on Holt Portable keyseater

Orangetruckman

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello all! Newbie to the hobby and forum
I’m looking for some help from those with knowledge on tools. When I bought my Atlas lathe, it came with a Holt portable keyseater. I searched for information about it and didn’t find any! So let’s see if some wonderful folks can help me fill in the blanks on this and answer a few questions if possible?
For starters, is this missing a lot of parts to make it functional? I get the basic idea behind the keyseater purpose, but I’m guessing that it’s missing more than I would want to find and or build to make it function??? But without knowing what more it needs to function properly, I’m finding it difficult to keep or scrape it.
Thank you for any and all that provide input on helping me with understanding of this tool in advance.

Attachments

• 8D218D9A-FF06-410E-BE42-13DEA2805604.jpeg
    8D218D9A-FF06-410E-BE42-13DEA2805604.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 1717B165-2C0B-427C-AAB3-B14106BA1334.jpeg
    1717B165-2C0B-427C-AAB3-B14106BA1334.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • AC057947-3EB0-4809-AE1B-EFB9C998E0FC.jpeg
    AC057947-3EB0-4809-AE1B-EFB9C998E0FC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: Z2V
I can’t help you with your keyseater question but I can welcome you to H-M. And I do hope that your lathe was in better condition than the keyseater that you posted.

I can’t help you with your keyseater question but I can welcome you to H-M. And I do hope that your lathe was in better condition than the keyseater that you posted.
Thank you! Haha, and yes, the lather was in better condition than the keyseater. Only surface rust started on the lathe and seems like it wasn’t used for awhile with rat poo all over but I got it cleaned and sanitized
Thank you anyhow take care.

There is a portable shaft key seating machine called 'Climax key seater' (or something close to that) that I investigated getting for the shop I worked at. Take a look at it for what is probably missing from yours.

Thank you jcp. I did find that site as well and if the one I have is in need of what those have, then mine in going to be broke down and turned in to other parts. Thank you for your help.

We have a portable one at Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association machine shop museum. Not sure of maker. It is hand powered.

So, I feel a bit dumb for not looking at this better before posting my request. After spending a good hour playing around with a wire brush and some lubricant, I figured it out. The gear looking things are part of the height setting. There’s bearings inside of them with a spindle-that was frozen. Once I got that to turn, things started to make sense. One side of the spindle sticks out about 3” and has a 3 lobes for a chuck to grab onto. The other side of the spindle has a recessed hole for a cutter to be inserted and a set screw to lock it down. Mark another one up to speaking too soon ‍♂️ Thank you to all those that pitched to help me

Back