Looking for my perfect size hobby mill....

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi everybody..

So a while ago I was looking for the perfect size hobby Lathe at Pm and for me it was the 12 x 28 but it was not available to ship out due to not being in stock or I would have purchased it...

That being said what PM "Mill" would be the perfect starter mill, keeping in mind a 12 x 28 lathe would be what I would consider a good size hobby lathe. over say a 10 x 30 which is too small and less capable or 12 x 36 which takes up allot of extra space for the amount ill use it. I have zero Mill experience so I don't know enough to make an informed decision here...

Unlike needing the lathe now which I have a project for, I have time to wait on a Mill - I'm not rushed and can buy and wait 1 or 5 months to get it. but it does need to be smaller to take up less real estate yet big enough I don't outgrow it. Kinda like the PM 12 X 28 is just a smaller version and half the weight of its big brother, a full size 12 X 36 and uses the same tooling.

I would prefer a new made in Taiwan machine but may be willing to buy a used but in excellent condition one, I believe the PM's are Taiwan made so I am starting here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1228s are China, and my mill is a G0755 10x32 2 hp. PM has similar types too.

I have the 1228 lathe and PM30 from Precision Matthews. They have done everything I have tried for the last couple of years. The variable speed helps to dial in the cutter to the operation. That is important since you don't have the weight to dampen vibrations. That is the most important plus for the PM & Grizzly 1236. Ditto with a real BP versus an Asian lightweight clone. Went with the PM 30 for the extra Z. Have bumped up against it several times so I am glad I spent the extra $.

Blondiehacks is doing a PM Reserch engine and showed where she just ran out of Z on a setup with the PM25. That is a very popular startup mill. She did a work around to drill the bearing journals. Could have just made it with the PM30. No mater what you buy, you will have to learn to do work arounds on some setups.

There are several solutions to minimize the vibrations. I am going to start trying them this winter, so as to be able to take heavier cuts with out the vibrations. The machine has the power, just not the weight.

Hope this helps.....Charles

I like mine as it came with a power X, and Z, plus the 18" Z height.

P.S What ever mill you decide to get, get the DRO at the same time. It is worth more then it's weight in gold. Don't have one on the lathe. I use dial indicators and it hasn't really bothered me. But the tricks you can do on the mill are out of sight.

PM machines with a 'T' in the model name are from Taiwan. The rest are from China.

You didn't specify working envelope, but I don't have a lot of room either (half of a 2-car garage), and my 1340GT and PM 935TS work pretty well for me.

1228s are China, and my mill is a G0755 10x32 2 hp. PM has similar types too.

Hi.. I did not know that the 12 x 28 was not made in Taiwan... I thought PMs claim to fame was Taiwan made machines.. Thanks.

Would suggest you look at the PM-728VT, not too big, but a nicely made mill with lots of features and well built. PM-30MV may also be a consideration, although not made in Taiwan. It is also variable speed belt drive and is 220VAC.

The new 728VT looked really nice but a bit light weight 370 Lbs, will consider that as an option... Thanks.

I have the 1228 lathe and PM30 from Precision Matthews. They have done everything I have tried for the last couple of years. The variable speed helps to dial in the cutter to the operation. That is important since you don't have the weight to dampen vibrations. That is the most important plus for the PM & Grizzly 1236. Ditto with a real BP versus an Asian lightweight clone. Went with the PM 30 for the extra Z. Have bumped up against it several times so I am glad I spent the extra $.

Blondiehacks is doing a PM Reserch engine and showed where she just ran out of Z on a setup with the PM25. That is a very popular startup mill. She did a work around to drill the bearing journals. Could have just made it with the PM30. No mater what you buy, you will have to learn to do work arounds on some setups.

There are several solutions to minimize the vibrations. I am going to start trying them this winter, so as to be able to take heavier cuts with out the vibrations. The machine has the power, just not the weight.

Hope this helps.....Charles

Thanks for responding... Question does quill travel from 3" to 5" matter much, Or no biggie... and what do you think about the new 728VT over the Pm30.. Its a bit more money, or what if I jump right too the 833 TV, has better weight and 220V but adding DRO is 900.00 More ouch, Thanks Mike.

P.S What ever mill you decide to get, get the DRO at the same time. It is worth more then it's weight in gold. Don't have one on the lathe. I use dial indicators and it hasn't really bothered me. But the tricks you can do on the mill are out of sight.

Ill keep that in mind, the New 728VT has quill Dro built in would that be good enough or..?

PM machines with a 'T' in the model name are from Taiwan. The rest are from China.

You didn't specify working envelope, but I don't have a lot of room either (half of a 2-car garage), and my 1340GT and PM 935TS work pretty well for me.

Ha, thank you.. good info about the T - I just learned a usefull bit of info.. lol good im not the only one lacking space.. we both belong to club no space... Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
My two cents:

(1) 2 of the 3 machines that I purchased from PM were back ordered. I bought what I wanted and waited, reveling in the anticipation, buying tooling and saving up to pay the balance due,

(2) PM’s Taiwanese machines are worth the extra money if you can afford it,

(3) I chose a factory DRO on all 3 PM machines that I bought. More expensive, but easy and expedient,

(4) You have heard it before, but PM’s customer support and general approach to customer care is top shelf. I wouldn’t even consider buying from anyone else. This is also why I wouldn’t buy a used machine.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the 833TV. I have the 833T and it is a really nice mill. Cranking the Z axis up and down is a drag so get the z-axis power feed if possible. I bought a DRO from a chinese supplier for $250 and installed it myself. Took a little time but it was not a big deal. As others have pointed out though, the DRO is what I would consider a must on a mill.
Overall I am very happy with my mill.

Back