Looking for my perfect size hobby mill....

Let me suggest that you go watch Blodihacks on youtube, she uses the smaller PM mill and lathe and does a good job of highlighting the limits of those machines. They are not bad machines, very far from it, but due to their work envelope and a DC motors limitations on low end torque will limit your project size and materials to some degree.
I've watched a few Blodihacks videos and the Die Filer video where she uses the 728T for some operations on the body and pretty much maxed out her lathe turning the body which was somewhat iffy... But in the end she did well. To bad they don't have a gear head version of the 728T for a little better low end torque.

Interestingly Adam Savage has a video about that Die Filer too.

I have time to figure this all out.

Thanks for the Input, Mike.

I've watched a few Blodihacks videos and the Die Filer video where she uses the 728T for some operations on the body and pretty much maxed out her lathe turning the body which was somewhat iffy... But in the end she did well. To bad they don't have a gear head version of the 728T for a little better low end torque.

Interestingly Adam Savage has a video about that Die Filer too.

I have time to figure this all out.

Thanks for the Input, Mike.
Hey Mike,

I originally wanted the PM940M which is the gear head; but I wound up with the PM940V. I am not certain if the PM728T is an AC motor or a DC but in the larger mills such as the PM940 the difference is the V has a 3 Phase VFD supplied (phase conversion from single phase) and controlled AC motor and it has torque from the start to the end of its power band, I am very pleased with the V and I know there are some folks on here who have had issues with the M version. I used my 3" diameter face mill last night for a 2" wide cut through a piece of 6061 T3 cut depth of .250" and it didn't even slow down or grunt. I have used the same mill with the appropriate inserts to face A36 plate full 3" diameter cut .060" deep cut without any issues also, the machine sails through it no problem.

Hey Mike,

I originally wanted the PM940M which is the gear head; but I wound up with the PM940V. I am not certain if the PM728T is an AC motor or a DC but in the larger mills such as the PM940 the difference is the V has a 3 Phase VFD supplied (phase conversion from single phase) and controlled AC motor and it has torque from the start to the end of its power band, I am very pleased with the V and I know there are some folks on here who have had issues with the M version. I used my 3" diameter face mill last night for a 2" wide cut through a piece of 6061 T3 cut depth of .250" and it didn't even slow down or grunt. I have used the same mill with the appropriate inserts to face A36 plate full 3" diameter cut .060" deep cut without any issues also, the machine sails through it no problem.
I watched a couple videos and I checked out your mill with the power down feed, definitely a nice machine. Ill keep an open mind down the road as I continue my search and I am ready to get one.

For now I am going to put this thread to sleep and bury it till I'm back at it...

Thanks, Mike.

Last edited:
Back