[4]

Looking for QCTP plans

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I'm looking to build a QCTP this weekend and need ideas and plans, I know nothing about what I really want yet so a couple different types and explanations of why one might be better than the other would help. I have a Logan 820 if this makes a difference.

Gonna go scrounge materials so I'll check back later.

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Man was that easy

Easiest project I've done to date. Went to the scrap yard to find material, stopped in to the machine shop I used to work at, had Thanksgiving dinner came back to my shop, milled a T nut and walla a QCTP.

Kinda big for my lathe but will work just fine and best of all no cost to me.

QCTP (1) (640x480).jpg QCTP (2) (640x480).jpg QCTP (3) (640x480).jpg QCTP (4) (640x480).jpg QCTP (5) (640x480).jpg

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
charley
the scrap you went to buy already looks like a tool post? :lmao::lmao::lmao:
nice score charley
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
thats the first 3 sided one i have seen
steve

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I believe it is an Armstrong, nothing on the tool post itself but one of the holders say Armstrong. It is really too big but will work, I need to pick up some more tool holders for it. The 2 boring bar holders are for 1" boring bars, I was gonna make a collar but I would have to make several as all my boring bars are different diameters. The boring bar I got with it holds a cutter on each end 1 end at a right angle the other at about a 45 deg. angle.

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Anybody who does not have a QCTP I highly recommend getting or making one, it adds a whole new dimension to your lathes capabilities. First thing I found that made it very worthwhile is the fact you have a great place to mount your indicator. Rigging an indicator has always been frustrating to me on my lathe and now it's a breeze. It also adds a great deal of rigidity to your lathe. Plust the fact you can change out tools quickly and have repeatability.

qctp indicator holder.jpg

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
Anybody who does not have a QCTP I highly recommend getting or making one, it adds a whole new dimension to your lathes capabilities.
Amen brother! And some of the imports are so cheap!

I got luck and bought a used Aloris set for a very good price, but would have bought a PhaseII without hesitation.

fastback

Active User
Registered
I have the Phase II, wedge type. This is one tool I have never been sorry I purchased. At this point., I make all of my tool holders. I guess I have some where around 10 of them now. I also have a piston type on my smaller Southbend 9B, I don't know the name brand I bought it used for $45.00 and this one also work well. It was the TP only.

Jamiethesquid

Active User
Registered
May be a little OT but what is the advantage / disadvantage to the wedge type vs the piston type QCTP? I am comparison shopping both types and the piston type is always cheaper. Is this just due to being a simpler design. I have it in my pea brain that the wedge type will pull the tool holder down while securing it and make for a more rigid setup, but I have no proof of this. The ones I've used on much bigger lathes at school have all been wedge type.

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I think I am in the same boat, lots of posts about piston verses wedge. Wedge type seems to be preferred by most. How about some of the homebrew models? The Harold Hall one sure seems doable for low dollars. I'm pretty sure its not as quick as the AXA type what to do............?

Dale_z28

Registered
Glad I found this thread, I am also in the market for QCTP of the OXA type (mini lathe), but is there a noticeable difference between the wedge and piston type? Banging around in my shop, I doubt .002" will ever be needed accuracy anyway. Opinions, please?

HomeMetalMan

Registered
Whilst this thread is quite old I still find on my website stats that readers are coming to my website using the links to it on these pages. With the subject being QCTH's, readers may be interested to learn that I have very recently placed on the web a video regarding my QCTH design. It explains the principles of the design, show the toolholder in use and tests being carried out to check how accurately a holder returns to the base when removed and replaced. These show that the height accuracy is better than 0.0004" (0.01mm) .

A link to the video can be found on this page http://www.homews.co.uk /page508.html

I have also prepared 20 other videos that I will be adding to the web over the next few months. If any reader would like notification when they are made public, go to my correspondence page and send me an email, just saying, add me to your mailing list.

The page can be found here http://www.homews.co.uk/page6.html

Harold Hall

[5] [7]