Looking for QCTP plans

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I'm looking to build a QCTP this weekend and need ideas and plans, I know nothing about what I really want yet so a couple different types and explanations of why one might be better than the other would help. I have a Logan 820 if this makes a difference.

Gonna go scrounge materials so I'll check back later.

Man was that easy

Easiest project I've done to date. Went to the scrap yard to find material, stopped in to the machine shop I used to work at, had Thanksgiving dinner came back to my shop, milled a T nut and walla a QCTP.

Kinda big for my lathe but will work just fine and best of all no cost to me.

QCTP (1) (640x480).jpg QCTP (2) (640x480).jpg QCTP (3) (640x480).jpg QCTP (4) (640x480).jpg QCTP (5) (640x480).jpg

charley
the scrap you went to buy already looks like a tool post? :lmao::lmao::lmao:
nice score charley
steve

thats the first 3 sided one i have seen
steve

I believe it is an Armstrong, nothing on the tool post itself but one of the holders say Armstrong. It is really too big but will work, I need to pick up some more tool holders for it. The 2 boring bar holders are for 1" boring bars, I was gonna make a collar but I would have to make several as all my boring bars are different diameters. The boring bar I got with it holds a cutter on each end 1 end at a right angle the other at about a 45 deg. angle.

Anybody who does not have a QCTP I highly recommend getting or making one, it adds a whole new dimension to your lathes capabilities. First thing I found that made it very worthwhile is the fact you have a great place to mount your indicator. Rigging an indicator has always been frustrating to me on my lathe and now it's a breeze. It also adds a great deal of rigidity to your lathe. Plust the fact you can change out tools quickly and have repeatability.

qctp indicator holder.jpg

Anybody who does not have a QCTP I highly recommend getting or making one, it adds a whole new dimension to your lathes capabilities.

Amen brother! And some of the imports are so cheap!

I got luck and bought a used Aloris set for a very good price, but would have bought a PhaseII without hesitation.

I have the Phase II, wedge type. This is one tool I have never been sorry I purchased. At this point., I make all of my tool holders. I guess I have some where around 10 of them now. I also have a piston type on my smaller Southbend 9B, I don't know the name brand I bought it used for $45.00 and this one also work well. It was the TP only.

Back