Looking For Replacement Motor For Th54

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
The motor in my lathe is 1/2hp 1728rpm frame 118e I'm having a hard tim finding something to fit. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Regards-Carlo

The motor in my lathe is 1/2hp 1728rpm frame 118e I'm having a hard tim finding something to fit. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Regards-Carlo
1/2 hp nema 56hz frame 115v single phase 1750 rpm would work as a replacement too, but the 3 phase motor and drive above is a great price and would be a great upgrade!
but if you want to go another direction here's a link for the motor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-MOTOR-1-...412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601657e54
disregard the seller, the link was meant simply as an illustration of the motors and what it looks like.
i'm sorry i can't seem to remember what a 118 frame looks like- i'll have to look it up.
either direction you decide to go, modification will most likely be the end result.
we'll be around to help out in either event.

If you're looking for a direct replacement, UD has steered you in the right direction.

The above link for the motor and vfd is one attractive price for sure. A vfd gives you speed control.

I went a different route for my TH42 and used a cycletrol 150 (speed controller) and a Baldor 3440 (DC) motor.

TEFC is always a plus on a metal lathe that will by throwing chips and oil all over the place.

Can't comment on the 118e size, don't recognize it....

Last edited:
If you're looking for a direct replacement, UD has steered you in the right direction.

The above link for the motor and vfd is one attractive price for sure. A vfd gives you speed control.

I went a different route for my TH42 and used a cycletrol 150 (speed controller) and a Baldor 3440 (DC) motor.

TEFC is always a plus on a metal lathe that will by throwing chips and oil all over the place.

Can't comment on the 118e size, don't recognize it....

What does TEFC stand for? And I'm assuming the original motor is what I have I do not have a good picture of it assembled however.

Regards-Carlo

the vfd unit takes 115v and creates the 3phase 230v output, no outside converter is needed.
i'm a little concerned about the absolute speed of the motor at 3600 rpm, when the original motor is rated at half the rpm.
to get the same relative speed you'll need to run the motor at 30hz to match somewhere around 1750 rpm.
i haven't had experience with the motor/drive selection and can't intelligently speak about it, but something tells me that a difference in pulley size would be necessary to operate the drive at near rated speed of the old system.

The original motor on a TH54 should have been a 56 frame rated at anywhere between 1700 and 1800 RPM (motor nameplate ratings have changed over the decades without any actual changes in the motors). I have to agree that I would avoid a VFD drive system that was rated up to 3600 RPM. You would be better off with one that uses a nominal 1800 RPM motor.

Back