Looking For Replacement Motor For Th54

The original motor on a TH54 should have been a 56 frame rated at anywhere between 1700 and 1800 RPM (motor nameplate ratings have changed over the decades without any actual changes in the motors). I have to agree that I would avoid a VFD drive system that was rated up to 3600 RPM. You would be better off with one that uses a nominal 1800 RPM motor.

Okay so for now the vfd is off the table. I'm
Looking for a direct bolt in. That being said. The motor I have is an atlas super power motor. I just assumed it was original because it's atlas. It never fit correctly however. So I'm looking for a 56 frame and if the rpm says anywhere from 1700-1800 I should be alright?

Regards-Carlo

Yes, today it will probably list the RPM on the nameplate as 1725 RPM. That happens to be the rated full load RPM. The lighter the load, the closer to 1800 (synchronous) RPM it will run.

Note that 56C frame is not what you want. Just 56. Also, you do NOT want automatic overload reset. Overload protection is good to have (although new it will add $ to the cost) but if you buy a motor with overload protection, be sure that it is manual reset. On a machine tool, automatic reset is dangerous. Other options to be aware of are reversible or not and 120 VAC or 120/240 VAC. Standard shaft diameter will be 5/8". If your motor pulley is a 9-428 instead of 10-428 and fits a 1/2" diameter shaft, you will have to look harder to find that. One ready source is WW Grainger. But price will likely be north of $200 even without overload.

Is there an Atlas model number on the nameplate of the one that you have?

+1 on 3ph and vfd, i have a 1.5hp motor that im going to have to figure out the mounting in the lathe underneath drive cabinet im curious to see what you do

Is there an Atlas model number on the nameplate of the one that you have?
There is I didn't have time to look last night to give you an answer. Bear with me I'll try to get it today as I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off lately

Regards-Carlo

Edit: I actually have a photo of the nameplate ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429040434.578540.jpg

Is the current motor shot? If it just needs bearings you might be ahead to get it repaired. Just a thought.

michael

Yes, today it will probably list the RPM on the nameplate as 1725 RPM. That happens to be the rated full load RPM. The lighter the load, the closer to 1800 (synchronous) RPM it will run.

Note that 56C frame is not what you want. Just 56. Also, you do NOT want automatic overload reset. Overload protection is good to have (although new it will add $ to the cost) but if you buy a motor with overload protection, be sure that it is manual reset. On a machine tool, automatic reset is dangerous. Other options to be aware of are reversible or not and 120 VAC or 120/240 VAC. Standard shaft diameter will be 5/8". If your motor pulley is a 9-428 instead of 10-428 and fits a 1/2" diameter shaft, you will have to look harder to find that. One ready source is WW Grainger. But price will likely be north of $200 even without overload.

To add a few tidbits to what Robert has said,
a 56H frame has a 5/8" shaft and wide spaced motor mounting holes
a 56HZ frame is compatible with a lot of old frames. the shaft size is 7/8", the 56HZ has multiple mounting holes and slots.
a 56C is a face mount motor usually used for hydraulic pumps, there is no mount foot.
a 56 frame is similar in dimensions to a 56H, & 56HZ, but the mount foot has the mounting holes on the feet spaced closer together and only has 4 holes for mounting.

Well I got a harbor freight 56 frame motor. The capacitor barely clears and the pulleys won't line up to my satisfaction. But for now I'm using it. I priced a motor from grainger and it was something like 400$ so I couldn't buy that.

The motor I currently have has a shorting issue and puts a heavy load on my circuit. I have to call a local rebuilder to see what they're price is. If it's similar to what I paid for the motor I have I'll get it rebuilt as I know it works although it doesn't seem to be the correct motor for the lathe. For now I'm back running so I'll have to deal with the little things as they show up. Right now though I'm battling play in my carriage and a lack of a center to support work that I'm using to setup the lathe correctly.

Regards-Carlo

Carlo,

In the motor photo, what is the first character of Cat No.? I think that the second and third are 72.

I just recently bought a new 1/2 HP motor for my band saw (except that I decided to put it on my drill press and put the drill press motor on the band saw). It is 120 volt (only), reversible, and no overload. Cost me a little over $200 about three weeks ago.

Carlo,

In the motor photo, what is the first character of Cat No.? I think that the second and third are 72.

I just recently bought a new 1/2 HP motor for my band saw (except that I decided to put it on my drill press and put the drill press motor on the band saw). It is 120 volt (only), reversible, and no overload. Cost me a little over $200 about three weeks ago.

Cat no: 2720
Where did you get the motor from?

Regards-Carlo

Back