Looking for sealed tapered roller bearings

Stan the Man

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
I am replacing the stock, head stock bearings in a Grizzly G8688 7x12 lathe, I am trying to find sealed tapered roller bearings that will fit. Currently I have unsealed tapered bearings but would prefer to return them and purchase the sealed kind. Can anyone post a link to where I might find them here in the U.S. or provide a Company name and part number so I can look them up. I rather not have to import them from the UK as the shipping is outrageous. Thanks in advance.
Stan.

Contact Timken. They may have what you need.

You're looking for a rare bird indeed.

Stan, What method of lubrication is in place now? Al.

Hundreds of people have done the upgrade on the 7 X 12 lathes with "unsealed" tapered bearings. I have not heard of anyone who has experienced bearing failures with them.

Sealed bearing have a much lower rpm limit than open. In a spindle bearing you want tight clearance and the tapered bearing will generally have some load to reduce both radial and axial runout. If a machine is designed for open bearings in a precision application there is no benefit to sealed and potentially additional risk. Can you tell I'm not a fan ? Dave

Back