[4]

Looking for Sloan & Chace Collets

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

bearbon

Registered
The problem with my attraction to odd and unusual machines backfires when I try to find tooling and parts for them. I have a Sloan & Chace single-pedestal watchmaker's lathe with double cross slide and lever action tool indexing tailstock. This will be a great machine for making multiple copies of the same part - like a mini screw machine, but I need collets for it. The collet size is a 3SC (#3 Sloan & Chace). If I can't find any I'll have to modify the headstock spindle to accept WW collets or adapt a chuck.

Anyone have a few buckets of odd collets lying around?

Thanks, Bear

bearbon

Registered
Well judging by the lack of response to my post I gather no one is familiar with #3SC collets (or aren't interested), so I started looking into ways to adapt common collets to my Sloan lathe. Turns out it has the same 20 degree taper as a regular WW collet. The head lengths are a little different so the WW collets will be slightly recessed in the spindle but not by much. I'll make a new, longer draw tube to precisely fit the spindle ID and tap it .275 X 40 for the WW collets. The draw tube will keep the body of the collet centered in the spindle. I'm not making watches here so I think it will serve my purposes. I'll post pictures of the lathe when I get it all set up. It uses flat belts so that's something else I have to make.

You can see pictures of an identical lathe as mine at: http://www.lathes.co.uk/sloan&chace/

Scroll down the page to the first color photos of the single pedestal lathe with all the gadgets.

[5] [7]