Looking for small drill bits

bigloudvtwin

Registered
Registered
Hey all, I'm looking for drill bits for gas porting AR style barrels. .060-.095 ish. Anyone have an idea of where to look? I'm assuming a machine shop supplier or similar.
Thanks in advance.

You can also cross-reference metric sizes to decimal inch for even more options.
One of the advantages of Mc Master is they usually get the items to you the next day, for regular UPS rates. You can also buy the drills individually, no need to get the whole set if you dont need em.

Hey all, I'm looking for drill bits for gas porting AR style barrels. .060-.095 ish. Anyone have an idea of where to look? I'm assuming a machine shop supplier or similar.
Thanks in advance.

Get your name on the list of the pass around box I’ll Make sure to put a bunch in there for you...

Found them. Thanks. It never occurred to me to cross reference wire gauge #s. Pretty spendy. Found some Drill Hog High Moly ones on --bay for $56. Your reply slapped some sense into me!

Those drill hog bits on eBay are awesome. I bought a set for a present and once they came I bought myself a set. US made Lifetime guarantee can’t beat them.

LOL-I was gonna suggest the Drill Hog site!

My wife claims I have a drill bit fetish, I buy a lot of drill bits, I use a lot of drill bits. Sharpening drill bits is a waste of billable time

I just gotta butt in here, can't leave it alone. I don't consider 3/32 inch to be all that small. I have upwards of 2 inch drills, true. But for small, I usually think of Nr 61 - 80. That's 0.0135, by the way. Nr 60 is 0.040.

A cheap set can be had through Harbor Fright. I wouldn't recommend 'em, but they can be had most anywhere. I'm partial to PTD, Precision Twist Drill, myself. It's a matter of time vs work vs longevity. I'm a hobbyest, retired. For a few holes, I use a cheap drill. For a job shop, cheap is really expensive. Get a cheap set and replace individual sizes you use regularly with good bits. Your work load will make the final call.

Bill Hudson​

I have the 115 piece Harbor Freight Cobalt drill bit set. Believe it or not its a decent set of drills. I find them to perform very well. All of there other drill bit sets are crap and not worth it for even one hole.
I am a die hard fan of PTD. I do have almost a complete set of PTD drill bits in both jobber and screw machine length in numbered, lettered and fractional that I slowly picked up (5 to 20 bits at a time) from the local flea market machinist/tool guy for probably under $75, all brand new. THE HF cobalt bits are almost equal to PTD HSS bits. To me as a hobbyist the HF 115 bit set is worth the $100 for having all the fractional, numbered and lettered bits available to me.
I just gotta butt in here, can't leave it alone. I don't consider 3/32 inch to be all that small. I have upwards of 2 inch drills, true. But for small, I usually think of Nr 61 - 80. That's 0.0135, by the way. Nr 60 is 0.040.

A cheap set can be had through Harbor Fright. I wouldn't recommend 'em, but they can be had most anywhere. I'm partial to PTD, Precision Twist Drill, myself. It's a matter of time vs work vs longevity. I'm a hobbyest, retired. For a few holes, I use a cheap drill. For a job shop, cheap is really expensive. Get a cheap set and replace individual sizes you use regularly with good bits. Your work load will make the final call.

Bill Hudson​

Back