Looking for small nylon gears and wiring diagram on maximat 7

Sussexjon

Registered
Registered
Hello, wondering if anyone has an idea where to get the small nylon gear for the feed and a wiring schematic for the maximat 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can't help with the wiring diagram but for the gear if you have the old one you might try Al Meekins at www.gearsmade.com
or you might be able to find an off the shelf gear from SDP/SI or Martin
Emco-Maier parts are sometimes available on Ebay
mark

I did find this on Ebay- two pages from a manual that was for sale- if you enlarge it perhaps it would be clear enough?
Maximat7schem1a.jpg

Sussexjon -- did you ever have any luck sourcing those nylon gears? I'm in need of some for my own Maximat 7.

Hello @CES1979,

First, welcome to the group!

What's the state of your Maximat 7? Is this a total rebuild/re-furb, or just a small repair?
We love to see photos here, if you can post some.

About the gear; Do you know the exact specs?
If so, you may be able to 3D-print it at your local library, maker-space, etc.

You would need to know the diameteral pitch (or module if metric), tooth count, thickness, and centre hole dimensions.
Fusion 360 (free for home use) has a built-in "wizard" to generate the STL files that the 3D-printer slicer needs.
I wrote a little about it here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/has-any-body-tried-these-threading-gears.75340/post-642147

If you can provide all that, I could even 3D print the gear for you.
The only thing I ask from you is an honest public review (posted here) of how the part holds-up in use.
It's all about learning.
(it's the same deal I made here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ing-dial-for-a-southbend-9c.67878/post-567975)

I have some of this filament in stock:
https://www.lulzbot.com/store/filament/bridge-nylon
........and it sounds like it would do the job.

Let me know, you can Private Message me (hover over my profile picture and hit "Start Conversation") or reply here....but you can't be in too big of rush....so many projects!

-brino

Hi Brino --- Thanks for the warm welcome, and the incredibly generous offer. I'll be PM-ing soon as I get the measurements necessary for the little gear.

In the meantime I've attached some photos of the Maximat 7. It's definitely more on the "clean up and tweak" range than a full-on restoration. I got in locally off Craigslist for $300. It needs a chuck and tool holder, but beyond that is pretty much ready to cut.

That said, issues I've noticed off-hand include:
1. The broken nylon tumbler gears

2. Previous owner/s appear to have removed the coarse/fine gearing assembly mechanism and swapped in regular gears, which necessitated some re-arranging of the downstream gearing as well (spacers moved to other sides, etc.). I seem to have all the gears necessary for the assembly (in one of the photos attached), but the assembly pieces are nowhere to be found. I'm guessing I can just switch these gears out manually when looking to switch, but will try and track down the assembly in the meantime.

3. It's possible the hub(?) into the geared headstock that the belt feeds is aftermarket, and may be a larger diameter than OEM part, which would (I assume) throw off the RPM measurements overall. Not sure how I'll solve this just yet.

So yeah, some work to do, and a ton of grime to clear away. But for $300 I couldn't pass up such a beautifully made machine. It's my first metal lathe (mostly a woodworker here), and once it's up and running I expect it'll serve me really well.

Attachments

• IMG_7888.jpeg
    IMG_7888.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_7887.jpeg
    IMG_7887.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 318
  • IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_7882.jpeg
    IMG_7882.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 324
Brino and CES1979,
I have recently obtained a Maximat7.
It is fairly complete, but suffers from cracked tumbler gears like yours CES1979.
Were you able to find or 3D print gears?
I have access to a 3D printer if I can come up with an STL file.
CB7F8F8C-C8F8-48D5-970C-7BEE1A7BEE8B.jpeg
737CA8B0-E364-4391-BF00-CE69722D162A.png

possibly, not certain though.

I have access to a 3D printer if I can come up with an STL file.

The (free for home use) Fusion-360 has a built in spur gear generator.
You need to know the full gear specifications.
If you want I could generate the stl file for you.

-brino

Hi pgwisn - I haven't yet created any STL file or taken Brino up on his extremely generous offer (been sidetracked with too many other projects).

middle.road's find looks very promising!

Back