Looking for some ideas for facing large stock .

Wino1442

Registered
Registered
Hi all......Need some ideas from more experienced and knowledgeable machinist. I need to face a piece of round bar that is 12" long and 1.25" in diameter. My lathe, a 12" Atlas, has a spindle bore of 3/4". Any suggestions on how to face it? Ultimately, I will turning this piece between centers, but before I get to that point I'm going to need to face it and center drill it. I have a mill and was thinking I might be able to face it using an end mill, but before I attempt that I'd like to hear what some of you all would do.
Thanks

V-block in the mill or steady rest?

Probably need the steady to drill before setting the tailstock. I could be missing an easier way though.

Do you have a steady rest? If so you can chuck up one end in the chuck and support the other end with the steady rest. Face and center drill.

If you have a half dead centre you can centre drill on the drill press, mount it, clean up the ends using the half centre, and then change to a regular centre for the rest of the turning.

-frank

You can face it with your mill. How precise does you center drilling need to be? (how much are you reducing the 1.25" dia.)
If it doesn't have to be precise you can center drill by hand

Or, you have a mill, make a steady rest.

I’ve seen it more than once on various machinist forums.... steady rest built using wood. Really not that hard for a one off use for facing 1-1/2” round stock.
Drill a 1-1/2” hole for the round stock in a piece of plywood. Use a hole saw in a drill press. Clamp a 2x4 to your bed. Chuck up your 1-1/2” steel stock in lathe chuck. Couple of wood screws holds plywood to clamped stud on bed.
Face and drill stock.
needless to say.... but use a slow speed and take very light cuts.

Last edited:
Back