Looking for Southbend 10L parts

Inkman

Registered
Registered
Hello all, new here and hoping to find some help with some parts I need.

I came across a 1945 SB 10L for free except for hauling it. Yes it is pretty worn out on the ways and cross slide but still free. It also came with a large set of colletts, aloris tool holder. Two cushman 3 jaws and one Buck Chuck Adjust Tru, two thread dials, several carraige stops and a huge assortment of gears. So just the chucks alone is a major score.

I am nearly done is a full restore, everything has been brought to bare metal. All the typical wicks etc replaced. But now I am at the point I need to address the major problems to make it a functional lathe. (I will post pics below)

Major issues
Both gibs for the cross slide and compound are so far gone I cannot advance them enough to take the play out. Not sure if it is a combination of gib and dove tail wear since I do not have specs on the gib to measure. My hope is to find someone selling new gibs or willing to make some, or attempt at trying to shim them. Anything to atleast get the majority of the play out for now. Down the road I would like to either have the compound and cross slide resurfaced so I can try my hand at scraping or find less worn saddle and compound.

Next major issue is the pinion gear for the rack, completely worn out and needs to be replaced. I do not have access to a mill or I would purchase shaftinf and the gear and press fit with a pin. My hope is someone has one for sale. Next on the saddle is the key for the worm, actually I need the entire worm assembly but I can do with just a key replacement for now.

Next major problem is the gear box, the machine is a single tumbler and finding a replacement seems impossible, there is plenty of double tumblers but no single tumblers in the market. All mine really needs is two of the bores to be machined and bushed, but again no access to a mill for that. I may source having a machinist do that job for me.

Those are pretty much the parts I am need of. Gibs and pinion being the most important. If anyone has any old parts that are in decent shape or good advice on hos to deal with the gibs my self please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 19
  • websitesmail.att.com.jpg
    websitesmail.att.com.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 22
My worm key was shot when I got my lathe as well. I was able to use a piece of 1/4" keystock and make one using files and grinder. It wasn't easy but it worked quite well until I got the mill and was able to make a proper replacement.

You can replace the single tumbler gear box with the 2 tumbler. It will give you a little more range on feeds and threading over the single tumbler.

For the pinion, you may be able to shim the rack down to get better engagement with it. Not ideal but it can work short term and you can always remove the shims when you find the gear.

Try http://www.lostcreekmachine.com/index.htm 815-434-5897 He lists quite a few SB parts on his website but it just scratches the surface of what he has in the shop.

Check with SBLatheMan over on the Practical Machinist South Bend forum for your gibs.

And that's quite a score for free - that's quite a score for money, too. Did you get a collet closer too?

Nothing wrong with shimming gibs, if you find a replacement, you will certainly need to scrape it to fit, and may have to shim it anyway. A lot of work can be done on worn machines, this I know from my apprenticeship shop back in the 60s, there were 7 lathes in the shop, 5 were pretty junky.

@Inkman,

What a huge difference is the before/after pictures.
Well Done.

Welcome to the group!

-brino

It did not come with the nice collett closer but the hand wheel kind, which is fine for a basement guy.

I have tried contacting Sblatheman with no luck, maybe he is retired from the game?

I was able to make a suitable worm key with 3/16th key stock and two cap head screws tapped into each end, then filed down for smoothness.
As for shimming gibs, what is thew best way to attack brass shim stock to the gib? Super glue? Also does it typically only need one facet to shim or one side and the bottom?

Thanks for the welcome!

He's not retired (from the game, anyway). I sent you his address in a PM.

Thanks SLK

I just realized this thread some how ended up in the wrong machine forum. I will repost in the SB forum and maybe a mod can remove this o00ne.

Back