Looking for spindle oil replacement

Electricman

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I'm new to the Hobby Machinist. I just inherited a Delta Milwaukee toolmaker surface grinder, and I'm trying to find a replacement for the "Velocite-E" spindle oil stated in the sales catalog, Mobil Velocite now is graded in numeric designations, but I can't find a conversion from old to new. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And since I'm asking, some help with the proper way oil would also be appreciated. Thank you in advance of any responses!

How about this?
Cheers
Martin
Home
> FLUIDS > Mobil Spindle Oil Velocite No.10 1 Gallon No.22 ISO Viscosity Grade
Mobil Spindle Oil Velocite No.10 1 Gallon No.22 ISO Viscosity Grade
Item# VEL101
$34.20
Availability: In Stock

Product Description
Mobil Velocite oils are premium performance products primarily designed for the lubrication of high speed spindles in machine tools where high speeds and fine clearances are involved

◾They are also used in some critical hydraulic, circulation systems and air line oilers where the appropriate viscosity grade is selected.
ALL YOUR TOOLING NEEDS!!!
PHONE: 1(800)543-5998 FAX: 1(800)552-5320
6724 Perimeter Loop Drive
Suite 305
Dublin , OH 43017
EMAIL: online@ajaxtoolsupply.com
WEB: www.ajaxtoolsupply.com

This is the way oil I use . I use SAE30 KBC Tools
Cheers
Martin
EEZ WAY OIL 30WT 1 GALLON

SDS Sheet

SDS Sheet

Item #: 1-820-730
Product Info
Brand: EEZ

WAY OILS consist of five viscosity grades of a special lubricant designed for use on machine ways and slideways. These oils are non-corrosive and will provide the necessary qualities to protect against wear and stick-slip.

Item Specifications
  • Grade
    30 Wt.
  • Size
    1 Gallon
  • Item Weight
    7.5 lbs per EA

$23.58
23 in Stock
UOM : EA
QTY:
spinnerup.png
spinnerdown.png

Add to Cart

Now, take this for what it's worth... I Googled and found this. I suggest you do more searching, trying to find the SSU index of the factory recommended oil and then do a cross reference based on what you find.

Here's what someone had posted:

" Gargoyle Velocite E oil is listed as having a SSU of 32 at 100F. That would make it ISO 2 oil. "

ISO 2 is very thin. As a point of reference, I use Mobil #6 (ISO 10) spindle oil in my B&S SG that has a Pope spindle with angular contact bearings. If your grinder uses plain bronze bearings I imagine the oil should be a little thinner.

So, do some Googling and find the SSU rating for the recommended oil and go from there. That is what I had to do when looking for a spindle oil for my SG.

Good luck,
Ted

Thank you Gentlemen for your help! I will definitely research the SSU and ISO numbers now that I know they exist (Thank you Ted). And thank you Martin for your suggestions.

I think that 40 wt way oil is too heavy for your machine; more appropriate would be Mobil Vactra #2, that is what I use in my B&S Micromaster and my lathes, etc.

The viscosity for various lubes are listed by the Oliver Machinery Company, and they mention "Gargoyle Velocite Oil E" and that it has a Viscosity of 60-75 seconds S.U. (SUS) @ 100 deg F. They list the Gargile Velocite E as an oil for ball bearings turning in excess of 4000 RPM, the cross reference to an ISO equivalent would be an ISO 10. The equivalent spindle oil in the current Mobile numbered oils would be a No. 6.

Old Lubricant Specifications.jpg

Attachments

• Oil Viscosity Classification.pdf
    205.4 KB · Views: 5
I think that 40 wt way oil is too heavy for your machine; more appropriate would be Mobil Vactra #2, that is what I use in my B&S Micromaster and my lathes, etc.
I see the picture shows 40wt, but the description of the way lube is 30wt. Does that seem appropriate?

The viscosity for various lubes are listed by the Oliver Machinery Company, and they mention "Gargoyle Velocite Oil E" and that it has a Viscosity of 60-75 seconds S.U. (SUS) @ 100 deg F. They list the Gargile Velocite E as an oil for ball bearings turning in excess of 4000 RPM, the cross reference to an ISO equivalent would be an ISO 10. The equivalent spindle oil in the current Mobile numbered oils would be a No. 6.

View attachment 330442
Thank you so much for the chart. That confirms my thoughts on Mobile Velocite #6!

Back