Looking for Tumbler Reverse Bracket for 11x20 series 2000 Standard Modern lathe

b13kirkland

Registered
Registered
Title pretty much says it all. Wondering if anyone has a scrap head stock and hence might have the tumbler bracket., item 11 in feed gear train parts of the manual.
I didn't quite check out the lathe I bought well enough. Someone had engage the reverse power feed while it the lathe was running
and the tip of the bracket holding the reverse gear broke - also damage the splines on the spindle shaft, but I think they will still be ok.
Thinking of brazing the broken piece of the bracket back on and/or making another bracket if necessary.

Lathe, fix thyself.

What good is a lathe if it can’t reproduce it’s own parts? ;>}

Not sure what other side of bracket looks like but you may be able to drill and tap both sides in alignment say 10/32 and JB weld them with the screws holding them tightly

thinking of something like that. There isn't much to work with for the piece that broke off. Also thinking putting a pin/screw through the center and through the center of the metal rod and screw into place. Shouldn't too much axial loading.

A pin or threaded screw might be your best bet, or send it out to be repaired by a cast iron repair shop.

I had a similar problem with a broken casting on my Van Norman mill. Spent a lot time researching epoxy metal glues like JB weld. Turns out JB weld is one of the lower strength epoxies on the market. Doesn’t have nearly the sheering resistance of the stuff made by the people who sell Moglice.

Usually I send broken cast iron parts to an old timer in Mount Vernon, Washington who ‘welds’ the broken pieces back together. Now, because of the amount of heat they put into the part during the repair, not sure what would happen to the alignment of the teeth shown in your photo. but my experience is you won’t be able to tell where the fracture line is, if you have a knowledgeable cast iron repair guy fix it.

The shop I always go to is: Cast Iron Repair, Mt. Vernon, Wa. Phone: 360.657.7660. Similar sized repairs have cost me around $100 USD, but they come back looking new.

Glenn

Thanks Tim. Appreciate the info. I do have a friend that has special welding rods for cast iron. I will check into local welding shops as well.
Right now this is a spring project as the lathe is in the garage and temps have been -20C.
I certainly plan to take a lot of measurements as well. It is a pain that the folks rep'ing Standard Modern will not even send me an assembly drawing of the part, let alone dimensions. (Not like I am going to go into the lathe making business ).

If you have a TIG or know someone who does, TIG brazing should work pretty good. Just a little research will tell you the best type rod to use. Silicon bronze rod might work. Definitely better than any adhesive or epoxy and at least as strong as the original was.

Back