Looking out at the horizon...

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
There is a wildfire coming my direction. We have had many, many lately due to the drought and now winds from Lee. I am awaiting evac orders. I may not see you guys for a few days if so.

author=Tony Wells link=topic=3410.msg24546#msg24546 date=1315261995
There is a wildfire coming my direction. We have had many, many lately due to the drought and now winds from Lee. I am awaiting evac orders. I may not see you guys for a few days if so.

Tony, sorry to hear of your woes. My son lives east of Bastrop around the Hwy 290/21 area near Paige. They were ordered out late yesterday and he made it back briefly today to get his livestock loaded, he just called me and said it was no longer a question of"if" but when the fire reaches them.

Please keep safe!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony,
I see you are still there with the wildfires closing in on you. How close are they too you, I wish I could send some of our rain down to you to help out. We will have rain all week here so we have more than enough too spare. Stay safe and wish you the best of luck with the fires.
Paul

Well, we never got the order, so we just spent the evening getting ready. Packing a few changes of clothes and making sure all papers were accessible to grab, etc. Hard part is leaving the shop. Unfortunately, machinery can't be tossed in the car or jeep in a few minutes. Main toolboxes, maybe. We could see the smoke through the trees, and even now there is an orange glow over in that direction.

Looks like for the next few days the winds are dying down, so lessens the danger. This one came within about a mile, and they said a few minutes ago it was 100% contained. Of course, it could light back up any time, so we are watching and listening. This one was about 500 acres. Two weeks ago we had one just as near, just in another direction that was almost 300 acres.

NXR, I have seen on the news about the Bastrop fire. Bad one. Hope he doesn't lose anything more than pasture.

Tony,

Godspeed and I will pray for the best for you and your family.

We will miss you here of course.

Nelson

Hang in there Tony. I'll miss your participation. Best of luck.
Randy

Well guys, thanks for asking. We were not evacuated. We caught a break today. Nice cool morning (53 deg f) and low to no winds. The fires near Bastrop and Possum Kingdom are still going, as they are large fires, and there are many others. The one threatening me was "contained" late last night as the winds calmed down and after a while they allowed those evacuated back to their homes. Several homes were lost, but locally, no loss of life.

This morning, due to the calm and humid cool, the smoke was very thick in the air. There were ashes settled on my Jeep. People are still calling 911 to report fires, but it is simply lingering smoke. Red Cross has set up help centers for those displaced. Evening news reported no new fires today. It is still very dry.

The fire near me was started by someone using an outdoor grill. Evidently they weren't watching it, and an ember or spark set their yard on fire and it reached the woodline and was out of control within minutes.

Hope we don't have a repeat anytime soon.

Just great. Another fire about 3 miles east of me. This time the winds are slow and from the north, so no evac is expected. There are over a dozen separate fires in the Local TV viewing area. The firemen are about to drop.

Back