Looking to buy a "budget" plasma cutter--

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I've gotten great advice on this forum regarding my Van Norman mill, -- so even though it's not a plasma cutter forum, I bet people on this forum have lots of good information on plasma cutters.
I'm looking for a cutter to use on an occasional basis on my farm. I'm sure it will prove useful-- I cut quite a bit of metal with oxy-acetylene, band saw and abrasive cutters-- and I think the plasma will do most of this much faster.
I already have a good 5hp compressor-- so I just need the plasma cutter.

I won't be using the cutter for "production" so I don't care too much about duty cycle.
I've heard that it's very hard to find consumables for the cheaper cutters--is this true for all of them?
Since I work on farm equipment, the steel is frequently thick-- so I might need some cutter horsepower--at least for severance cuts.

Anyways, any and all advice much appreciated.
Bob
PS My kids want to give me this for Christmas! All good!

I have a $200 plasma cutter works good and consumables are cheap and all over ebay

I have a CT-416 plasma cutter. Cost me $350 used. Not the highest quality, but seems to work when I need it to. Again, lots of consumables on eBay.

I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster52 that works great for me. It will cut 1/2" all day with no issues. It was twice the price I paid for my first one but I decided you get what you pay for.
I started out with an Everlast Supercut 50p - I had to return the first one as it didn't work out of the box.
The first one was blue and the one I received back was green which was weird.
It was only rated to 3/8" and it had problems with that.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes a couple months ago.. ended up going with a Hypertherm 30 XP. I’ve cut up to 3/4” mild steel with it.

Originally I had planned to go with a much cheaper model but in the end I decided you get what you pay for and in the process I was able to support fellow American workers.

I’ve been very happy with it!

I am very happy with my Everlast Power Plasma 60s, was just under $1000 delivered. It cuts great, I have used it on up to ⅝" plate without issues (haven't tried anything thicker). One thing to consider, you need very dry compressed air for good results, from a refrigerated (best) or desiccant dryer, bowl style traps aren't sufficient.

I recently bought a Hypertherm 30 Air for $1700 best tool I have bought in a long time, I highly recommend saving a little bit for a Hypertherm machine

It looks like plenty of folks have already responded with some insight and advice but my 2 cents... I bought a Lotos LTP5000D a while back. I've owned a few Hypertherm plasma machine and think they are the best. I use the hypertherm strickly with a machine torch on a CNC machine, but wanted another small machine for general stuff and cutting up "skeletons" from the CNC machine leftovers. I must admit it was cheap, has low cost consumables and cuts well. I wouldn't use one for CNC (it creates interference which kills the computer/usb connections) but for the price it cuts metal and it operates 120v or 240v and really tiny and easy to transport. 120v works fine for thinner steel. I've owned it about a year or so and so far it's not had any issues or problems.

I recently got a Hobart 40i, and am very happy with it. 240v only, clean cut 5/8 and sever 7/8", and is CNC compatible, Which is the main reason I went with it. It was reviewed as being third best behind Miller at #1, and Hypertherm being #2. Not cheap at $1400, but about half the cost of the other two. Mike

Back