Looking to buy a new horizontal bandsaw- advice requested

xplodee

Registered
Registered
Hey all-

I'd like to purchase a new horizontal band saw around the $750 mark. I have done some basic research but there are a lot of models out there and I figured I would ask to see if there are any models or brands that I should focus my research on.

I just want to buy the best quality machine I can buy for that price, I'm not as concerned about capacity. I rarely cut anything over about 2" so a machine that can do 6" or so would be a good margin for safety. I want to buy a new machine and recognize that given my price point that means an import. I'm fine with that. I do NOT want to restore an older machine or buy a used one, I just don't have time to shop around.

Any help would be appreciated!

You can get the little red HF 4x6 band saw new for about $200 with a 20% discount coupon. Mine works just fine after a bit of tuning it up, and damned well with a good bi-metal blade added. It says 4x6, but I have cut a 6" round aluminum disc on it, so that is well over your 2", and the saw takes up little space in the shop compared to larger saws. I have been nothing but happy with it, and it has done well with everything I have thrown at it...

Bob- Thank you for your reply.

I have one of those HF's at work and I wouldn't mind taking it home but I would rather pay $500-750 for the same kind of thing or marginally larger but with significantly better quality or features such as hydraulic feed etc. I don't have time to mod or tinker with tools and would rather just buy something "better" from the get-go.

I definitely agree that the capacity is perfect for what I need.

Call Matt at Quality Machine Tools. He has a super deal on some 220v machines that I considered recently.

Thanks, Alan. I will tomorrow. I already have a PM-935 so I'd be happy to own another piece of equipment from Matt.

This machine is more or less what I'm looking for, step pulley design and hydraulic drop, those are nice features: http://www.baileigh.com/band-saw-bs-128m

Grizzly has one I have been thinking about buying.
5" x 6" with swivel head. The swivel head looks to be a good selling point at $ 615.00 $ 704 shipped.

g9742-a1314b6422b6115386bc79f4bb547302.jpg

Watch for a deal on a like new/excellent bandsaw.

I bought my $2,000 Vectrax 7 x 12 vertical/horizontal, geared head (no pulleys/belts), metal cutting, mitering bandsaw off eBay, from Industry Recycles, for ~$1,000 (IIRC) in new condition, except it was missing the blade wheels and blade, which I was able to order cheaply from MSC.

Hbandsaw-1_zpsgez8tf69.jpg

Looks like the Griz and the Bailey pointed out here are likely the same design and/or machine.

I have not had much luck with lower cost 1/2" bladed machines. My specific experience is with Jet.

I would also add that our luck with quality and customer service at Griz is abysmal.

I have a Grizzly 0561 metal cutting bandsaw that has been in service for the last two years. I had a smaller saw that was difficult to keep blade alignment on as well as no coolant or hydraulic down feed. This saw has been great, it stays aligned and with bi-metal lenox blades cuts alloys with no problems. I must be lucky but I have had good service from Grizzly whenever I called them == Jack

You guys are going to laugh but it looks like I'll be taking home the Harbor Freight from work and we're going to buy a Pat Mooney Phoenix. Go big or go home!

Back