Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

As I have been researching printers the last week....I came across this video from the infamous Mr. Clough. I'm pretty confident there are other ways to pull off the 2 tone text...but this has got to be easier/faster? I just see talk in here that it's really not needed, for me, whatever James is using in the video my sparks my imagination. How much more work/time is it with a single nozzle (extruder)? This is MOSTLY for my wife, but I'd like to be able to make some me stuff on it..
Clough 2 tone

Last edited:
You can adapt the prusa mmu to other printers as well, just takes a little more work. I've had 2 prusa printers (a mk2 and mk2.5 that's now a totally modded haribo) as well as an mmu. It's great for somethings, but you'll find that printing multiple colors/materials is nice but rarely needed. I sold my original MK2 and bought a creality cr-x it's a slightly larger printer that prints 2 different colors, but not very good for multi material. Having a prusa mmu and a dual cr-x, I find I rarely use more than one color. The purge towers slow things way down and waste material. There are other mods that can be done to help (purge bucket and assoc. Gcode mods), but it still takes more time and material than a one color/material print. The only thing I use multi material for now is When I need to print something with a lot of supports and use pva for the supports. Temps are on the high end for pla but it works. I dismantled the mmu and used the steppers for my mpcnc last year, then 4 month ago, dismantled the mpcnc and everything is sitting in boxes in my garage waiting to become an mmu again, just haven't needed it. Just an FYI.

Like the 5 colors ready to go..9-10 weeks out though and I saw "VAT" which leads me to think overseas... but I'll do some research. Thanks man!

Like the 5 colors ready to go..9-10 weeks out though and I saw "VAT" which leads me to think overseas... but I'll do some research. Thanks man!
Everything prusa takes time. :) I waited 6months for my mmu. I love prusa, but have out grown them and if I ever do another 3d printer, it will be a scratch built. At the moment, my haribo is setup for petg and my crx for pla, works for %99 of my needs, but I've also got the haribo for softer materials and the cr-x for pva supports when needed.

I'm looking at the creality CR-10s for$ 449 right now, again....I've no idea WTH im looking at.

I'm looking at the creality CR-10s for$ 449 right now, again....I've no idea WTH im looking at.
If it's your first printer, the community around the printer is far more important than the printer. Buy one with a very active owner/mod community and there will always be someone to help you.

Uhh....I'm sorry, isn't that what you guys are here for??:p
I've got a heavily modded prusa mk2.5 that has maybe 10 parts from the original and a cr-x that has a very small user base. When people ask me what's a good first printer I used to always say prusa mk 2,2.5,3..... But now I usually say creality ender 3 and now ender 3 pro. They're cheap, there are tons of after market parts that are also cheap and most importantly, there are thousands and thousands of them out there. They print good out of the box and with some simple mods can be made to print even better. I've never owned one, but do loosely follow the hobby. However, there may be other better options since I don't follow as closley as I used to, but it's hard to beat their community for the price.

Join the club, I've been following 3D printers for 10 years and the only thing them getting cheaper has done is make what I don't know more obvious as it becomes more of a reality that I could actually get one.

The two I keep looking at are the Ender 3 (cheap) and Prusa Mk3 (not cheap but supposedly very user friendly). I figure if I wait long enough a 3rd go to printer for noobs will be released and make the choice that much more difficult for me. :grin:

Back