Looking to have a machinist make me rings.

Morrow96

Registered
Registered
I am a collector of antique firearms. One in particular I would like is a WW2 German K98 double claw. The problem is they don’t make these rings/bases in reproduction sets outside of a few many years ago. Attached is a pic of said reproduction from someone I’ve been talking with. He got one of the 5 repro’s made along time ago.

If I can convince the individual to let me
borrow the rings, can I simply take this to a machinist and say “make me this exact same thing?” If so...what else do I need to you? Do I need to know the type of steel, or how specific the tolerances need to be. Or even some type of heat treatment to deal with stress fractures of firing? I’ve got no idea where to begin.
Attached is a pic of said rings

Thank you all for input.
Tyler

Attachments

• 2D5CE221-D380-48AC-956B-1C978C09FFA9.png
    2D5CE221-D380-48AC-956B-1C978C09FFA9.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 77
I am a collector of antique firearms. One in particular I would like is a WW2 German K98 double claw. The problem is they don’t make these rings/bases in reproduction sets outside of a few many years ago. Attached is a pic of said reproduction from someone I’ve been talking with. He got one of the 5 repro’s made along time ago.

If I can convince the individual to let me
borrow the rings, can I simply take this to a machinist and say “make me this exact same thing?” If so...what else do I need to you? Do I need to know the type of steel, or how specific the tolerances need to be. Or even some type of heat treatment to deal with stress fractures of firing? I’ve got no idea where to begin.
Attached is a pic of said rings

Thank you all for input.
Tyler
The function of the part and each feature on the part determines the material, hardness and the allowable range size of each dimension.
To get a part that functions like original you need to figure all that out. If you can explain what the part does, ( I am not a gunsmith and I don't play one on the internet) people here can begin to make recommendations for the material and heat treatment if any. If you have an example of the mating parts and know how they are supposed to fit together ( sliding fit with precise movement, press fit, who cares it just holds the shoulder strap) Those mating parts can be measured and combined with the samples of original parts you can back out some idea of the allowable tolerances.
If you can't do that the machinist will have to try to make the part match dimensions nearly perfectly to your sample and that will get expensive.

Claw-mount rings were generally machined from mild steel like CRS, left oversize in the "claw" area, individually hand fitted to their bases, and finally case hardened in that area to minimize wear.

There was a time when you might've been able to persuade someone at New England Custom Gun (NECG) to make rings like that for you, but I doubt if that's still the case. Those mounts are typically a German thing, and I'm sure there are still some cottage-industry shops over there that could make exactly what you want. Have a look at ZP's page (Ziegler-Praezisionsteile), it might be a starting point.

No matter which way you go, it'll never be a cheap date. Even if you found a job shop that would make a set and fit them to your bases, it'd still be a "one-off" toolroom job.

Back