Looking to see PM 1022 or PM 1030

I have a 1030, alas, I'm in Halifax (Canada) so there's no way you'll be able to get up to see me.

I'll observe this - the longer bed won't always be used, but when it is needed, it's great to have. I just did a drilling job yesterday with mine where I put a 1/2" bit through an 11.5" long piece of bar-stock. With a 1022, you won't have the length to do a long job like that.

I'd say that you're best to consider what the biggest job you're likely to do would be, and then get the lathe which will cover that job.

In my case, it'd be a rifle barrel - so a 24" barrel blank between centers on the1022 would see my tailstock hanging over the end.

I'm happy with my 1030.

I have a 1022. Within 14 minutes of owning it I realized it was too short. Story of my life.
Get a 1030 or better yet, a 1444GT

I have an 1127 and Im hating myself for not going with a 1228 or 1236. changing gears absolutely SUCKS.

I had an old beater of a Southbend - came out of a high school and was abused even before they forgot about it in a back room...it had a proper quick change gearbox. I miss that a bit, but not having a clapped out bed is even better.

Someday, maybe I'll outgrow my 1030...for now, I'll live with the compromise. Adding a QCGB would have been an extra $2K that I didn't have at the time of purchase, and as a hobbyist, I'm not dealing with production deadlines, I'm building my stuff, my way, in my time.

Navy Shooter, I mostly do pistol work and build stuff for Paralympic/Adaptive shooters and in the 10 years I have my 8X16, there has only been one time it was not long enough. In Northern VA/Maryland we have a group called Chesapeake Area Metalworking Society (CAMS). One of the guys I have been helping out has a Causing That is 28X84 with a 3 inch bore, that should cover if I need bigger.

7Milesup, you want to make me a good deal on your 1022? :) I have one on order, but it may be a while before it comes in.

PC maker, I rarely have to thread on my lathe, so in the 10 years I have had the Sieg SC4, the fact I have to change gears has not been a problem

Back