• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

utterstan

Registered
Registered
i'm looking at an atlas 7b shaper I was wondering what they're worth in real nice condition.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
That really all depends on what you are willing to pay for it. Everyone has a different financial threshold. And can even be influenced by geography and availability. Good luck.

utterstan

Registered
Registered
Thank you but I really want to know cash value. I'm in Ontario so you know more than I do. I'm in Northern Ontario

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
WAG, $500. You could start there and see what happens. Mike

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
As with the lathes, which typically go for more down here than they do in the North East, location can vary asking price by up to 2:1. The other big variable (assuming that the basic machine is complete) is accessories. With the shaper, they are I think limited to the Atlas shaper vise and Shaper horizontal Indexer. Either of those, which are scarcer than the basic machines, will usually add $100 to $200 to the asking price.

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I have my eye out for a shaper in the Philadelphia area. They show up once in awhile on eBay and Craigslist and at the Cabin Fever Expo. They typically sell for $600 to $1000. I think they are neat little machines, but that is more than I want to pay for something that for my purposes would be of limited use.

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
There have been 2 atlas shapers on kijiji in recent months. Both were around $1000.00. Neither one seemed to be advertised very long. There was a larger shaper for sale in Orillia a few months ago for $750 and another larger one in Owen Sound for $1600.
Cheers
Martin

utterstan

Registered
Registered
There have been 2 atlas shapers on kijiji in recent months. Both were around $1000.00. Neither one seemed to be advertised very long. There was a larger shaper for sale in Orillia a few months ago for $750 and another larger one in Owen Sound for $1600.
Cheers
Martin
Thanks for the heads up on a shaper I have to pass on this one.

[6]
[5] [7]