Loose back gear on Craftsman 109

ericc

Active User
Registered
Hi. I have an old Craftsman 109 lathe. When I was using back gear, the planetary mechanism came loose. It is supposed to be locked with a pin, but it tilted and came loose. It seems that it is free to slide along the spindle. There are a few washers and spacers, and I was wondering if there were any missing. I looked at the parts diagram, and it shows *NO* washers or spacers on the spindle. There is only the pulley, spider, and back gear housing. Is there something else that is supposed to hold them in place, and the previous owner just put in the washers to try to hold everything in place? Is there a detailed picture of the spindle assembly that can show this? Thanks.

Eric,

There are at least 6 Craftsman models with model numbers beginning with "109". Which one do you have? AFAIK, everything ever officially published on the AA built Craftsman lathes is in DOWNLOADS. There might be somewhere a photo showing what you are asking for. But Lord knows how you would find it.

Hi Robert. Thanks for the reply. It is 109.0703, the long bed one with the back gear and threading. There is a manual in Downloads, placed there by you. Unfortunately, it does not have the diagram. That is a good idea (looking at images). Most of them are not quite at the right view. I am starting to get suspicious that a previous owner removed or broke the collar and replaced it with washers. They are painted the same color as the lathe, but that probably doesn't mean much. What I was wondering is whether the collar presses against the pulleys or the rear headstock bearing. That back gear is pretty shaky.

Eric,

I don't know as I don't have the parts to compare to the 109.0702 upgrade installation instructions. I just improved the copy of the instructions that I found somewhere and updated the copy in our DOWNLOADS. Read through that while doing it and I think you will find your answer. The copy is not great but I cleaned it up somewhat, as much as I could in the time available. If there are any words that you can't decypher, let me know.

And looking at the photos on Lathes UK that Clif mentioned might help,. too.

Last edited:
Hi clif. My spindle arrangement looks almost nothing like what is in the first link. That photo has two collars. At least what they call the annular gear is loose, so mine isn't broken. Maybe it just needs a few collars. Hmm. Looks like it is time to get out the cone mandrel.

Hi Robert. I saw your documents. Thanks. They show a collar in back of the pulley. I don't have a collar on mine. The retrofit instructions show a single screw collar which bears on a flat, and the main manual with a diagram shows a 2 screw collar with 8-32 x 5/8" screws. There is a washer that is added with the retrofit, I guess to keep the bell from rubbing against the front of the headstock.

Maybe someone with a 109.0703 could give you the collar dimensions.

Hi Robert. That would require some good luck. I had a chance to go and look at a friend's 109. It is the more conventional short bed version. His has a rear collar. He also has a front nut which has pin wrench holes in it. Both these features are just like the manual shows. My lathe has a washer in front (the one shown in the retrofit document). It also has a washer in back, but if the washer is removed, there will be no room for a similar collar! It appears that my headstock is shorter and the pulley is wider. Therefore the dimensions are no use to me. There is no room for any type of screw collar. Just for another washer. Depressing. I guess I'll just have to wait for my South Bend. For now, I'll just keep trying to keep this fussy princess running and making parts.

Eric,

There have been at least two other 109.0703's mentioned here within the past year. So one of those people could turn up. Unfortunately, the two (or three) later models share relatively few parts with the .0702 or .0703. The collar in particular is different. I noticed today that the 109.20630 has a split collar where the 109-0703 has the more conventional solid one.

Back