Lost chuck key

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have recently lost the chuck key to my Skil 6533 3/8" chuck. Traver's Tool had 2 "4 WAY" on sale with various sizes listed as K 7, or K something, where would a person find reference to the Trunion diameter?
I have 3 keys near the proper size but the trunions will not go into the holes on the drill chuck. The holes measure 0.225" diameter.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Have a good day
Ray

A 4-way chuck key might be useful in your toolbox, but having one on the bench will do nothing but irritate you as you search for the right one. I suppose one could mark the correct one with paint or something. I hate those flip-flop screwdrivers with the interchangeable bits because they don't feel like a proper screwdriver and are never set for the tip you actually need when holding something with one hand on top of a step ladder. I don't want to feel like that at my drill press.

Thanks CluelesNewB! Yes Pontiac428 that's why my key was fastened to the drill cord but ultimately got loose. Now to a spread sheet to see what fits best.
Have a good day
Ray

Thanks CluelesNewB! Yes Pontiac428 that's why my key was fastened to the drill cord but ultimately got loose. Now to a spread sheet to see what fits best.
Have a good day
Ray
Is it a Skil or Jacobs chuck?

No brand name on it so I think Skil

Ray

No brand name on it so I think Skil

Ray
Looks like a 'vintage' one for sure.

Can you post up a pict of it? I can dig through my stash tomorrow and see what I might have.

I have recently lost the chuck key to my Skil 6533 3/8" chuck. Traver's Tool had 2 "4 WAY" on sale with various sizes listed as K 7, or K something, where would a person find reference to the Trunion diameter?
I have 3 keys near the proper size but the trunions will not go into the holes on the drill chuck. The holes measure 0.225" diameter.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Have a good day
Ray
Finally found some different ones.
The silver ones are the only ones I've come up with that are .203ish DIA.
The black one is .156 DIA.
1110201017__R.jpg

Thanks guys,
I missed an opportunity for Home Depot today In Durango, CO. but will take the drill with me to Grand Junction CO this weekend. In addition to H D there is a lowes. There is also Parker Machine Works that is listed in the yellow pages, maybe I can find them too.
It has the thumb blade and I have a couple with a trunnion of 0.250" which I may try grinding to 0.225", my carbide insert won't cut it. I do have one like the silver one in the picture, but the teeth don't really match and the trunnion is 0.185" sort of awkward to use.
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
Back