Lost chuck key

I have recently lost the chuck key to my Skil 6533 3/8" chuck. Traver's Tool had 2 "4 WAY" on sale...

The replacement 'four way' items are junk, IMHO. You might be able to find the right key
for a Skil, at a price similar to a new chuck from China.
What I do, actually, is (1) rummage through the little box of spare keys, not finding the right one,
and (2) get a thrift store dead cordless drill, and scavenge a keyless chuck from that.

The chuck removed from the drill then becomes an item in the drawer that holds the little box...

Why can't the manufacturers put the model/part number on their items?
It would make our tasks a lot easier... :grin:

The gear portion is the only important part, You can always turn down the round nub which centers the gear if it is too big. You can drill it out and press in a larger round shaft if it is too small (or sleeve it). The round nub is the easy part to fix. The gear is the harder part to fix.

I tri
my carbide insert won't cut it. I do have one like the silver one in the picture, but the teeth don't really match and the trunnion is 0.185" sort of awkward to use.

I tried tha,t see quote. I actually prefer the gear type chucks, better tightening ability for me.

Hi Dan
Yes it is, more or less as a last resort. I have a tool grinding machine and a Craftsman hand grinder (large dremel) that I think could be used to grind the trunnion if I can get it rigged up. I have avoided grinding on the lathe with the Craftsman for many years due to the fine dust (need to replace my shop vacum cleaner) and cover the lathe ways etc.
just returned from Grand Junction, CO, Lowes Have a Jacobs 1/4" but it would not go into the chuck. This is no doubt one of the projects where fixing it in the shop may cost more than buying a replacement.
Have a good day
Ray

Back