Lost ---

WOW, I was only going to use a Nema 23 / 550 in, oz, Am I maybe thinking too small???

"Billy G" :thinking:

no not at all bill.
i do overkill i hate missed steps and i run tight gibs if i have something wrong i want to be sure it isnt the motor did not get to where it should be. it all stems from my sherline having motors that work fine 99% of the time and the one precent destroys your part. your not going cnc and even if you were 550 is more than enough.
steve

Hi Bill

Looks like Steve is going for a rear mount stepper motor, unless my eyes are seeing to blurry :whistle:

I would have a good look at the possible rear mount up. I dont know if its possible on your machine, but on many, including mine, its just puts the stepper out of your way. Direct drive looks like a easyer method, but have a look at that list of links I sent you at the start of this thread. A solid coupler, or universal joint is not recommended.
Apparently transmits to much vibration.

There is proper couplers for mounting steppers in direct drive. Elastomar coupler come to mind, but there is several. Excess vibration could cause a variety of problems, Im sure Putnam and others have mentioned this.

Depending on your wants or needs for the taper attachment, if you wanted a 1 to 1 drive, you could still do this with pulleys, and a belt. You could set up for pulleys, and if needed go to 2 to1, or even 3 to1 depending on needs. Clearance permiting. I dont know how much drag would be turning a crosslide handle with a stepper still attached, but shut off of course. But if you use pulleys and belt setup, you could easly remove the belt when not needed. Just a thought :thinking:

The Nema 23 steppers, from what I inderstand are available in single stack, double stack, and triple stack.
This is on putnams site, and maybe worth looking over, or giving them a call to inquire about it.

Speaking of taper attachment, you could also look at the possibilitys of adding a second stepper to the lead screw z axis and doing a conversion to Electronic lead screw. Such as Putnams auto turn controler,ELS, or Mach3. Steve is probably the guy to talk to on that :dunno:
that works out around the same cost.
Then a mechanical taper attachment wouldnt be needed.

Steve is mounting a nema 34 stepper on his machine, and looks like he wants to have more than enough power. :lmao: Nothing wrong with that! Better to have a little more, than not enough for his setup.

Just some thoughts

This stepper motor stuff can get confusing for sure. I gave all the infro on my machine, and was recommended
the 1200 oz/in nema 34 as min, and the 1800 oz/in as perfered to turn my leadscrew on my machine. Im still waiting for a verdict on the stepper size for the crosslide, but they figure a nema 34 as well.

Boys and there toys,,,it never ends :rofl::whistle:

Just a thought Bill, but if what you want is relief from the tedium of winding the cross-slide handle, couldn't you fashion an attachment to fit the chuck of a cordless drill that would engage the cross-slide handle?
That would give you the F-N-R and variable speed you require in the simplest manner.

M

Just a thought Bill, but if what you want is relief from the tedium of winding the cross-slide handle, couldn't you fashion an attachment to fit the chuck of a cordless drill that would engage the cross-slide handle?
That would give you the F-N-R and variable speed you require in the simplest manner.

M

I did that on the mill/drill and found that slow speed feed isn't very practical. It is too easy to stall. Works great for traversing the table though.

Steve

bill
what is the voltage and amps for your stepper motor in the specs. or the part number and manufacturer
there is a variable/reversable pulse generator on ebay that may run your motor pretty cheap all it requires is a power supply no pc.
steve

this part takes the place of the pc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stepper-mot...000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a22e73078

this to drive the motor if your under 3 amp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Router-...502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a753b3096

and a power supply for 3 amp min.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-5A-DC-B...577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccaa0d499

if your amps are higher than 3 amp the cost goes up, to go from here to cnc for this axis you only replace the first part with a breakout board and pc everything else can be used
I'm not saying to buy these i'm just giving an idea of minimum cost to run the motor if under 3 amp

the motor is fine if it is what is listed, but if you go to the add and click more details under the motor description it show a totally different motor.and by buying this a piece at a time your going to spend almost what a total cnc conversion kit less computer would cost. the power supply and driver i showed you wont drive 5amps.
just an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Axis-Nema...100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5d4cc064
your motor $65.00
power supply $50.00
driver $50.00
pulse generator $12.50
just the parts basic total and its not cnc is 177.50 it is not really worth it
i'd look into a gearmotor and dc controller if your not going cnc
steve

Bill

If your just trying to power your crosslide, could you not use a power feed that is commonly used on milling machines X-Y-Z axis ?

Might sound crazy, and probably is :nuts:, but they have plenty of torque, varable speed, F-N-R and cheap on evil bay. And just plug and play, other than finding a way to mount it, either front , or back.

Down side, Bigger and more weight than a stepper, also its large size. But hell, just a thought.:thinking:

Back