Love these spiral taps

They work great , especially when running cncs . :)

Same here but I have also broken a few, they were all 6-32 though. That Anchor Lube is good stuff too but I forget to use it a lot & tend to reach for something else. Does Anchor Lube have a shelf life (dry out)? I have the jar & sample bottle.

Same here but I have also broken a few, they were all 6-32 though. That Anchor Lube is good stuff too but I forget to use it a lot & tend to reach for something else. Does Anchor Lube have a shelf life (dry out)? I have the jar & sample bottle.
Heck, you could probably add a bit of water if it dries out. Kind of messy but it seems to work well.
Another thing I noticed about the Anchor lube, it doesn't melt away with acetone/alcohol. My go to pressure can cleaner/degreaser.

Jeff, that is a spiral FLUTE tap, being used properly for blind holes. They are good because they pull out most of the chips, keeping the chips from building up in the hole, impeding the cut and breaking the tap.

There are also spiral POINT taps, also called "gun taps," perhaps because they "shoot" the chips out the far side of the hole, mostly intact. They are best for tapping through holes.
1571963128814.png
Note the beveled cutting edges to push the chips forward.
1571963415868.png
Note how the chips clear the hole.

Agreed that they work great........VERY expensive though......

Anyone got a source of reasonably priced decent cutting ones?

Thanks,
-brino

Agreed that they work great........VERY expensive though......

Anyone got a source of reasonably priced decent cutting ones?

Thanks,
-brino

I just buy the general purpose spiral flutes from Mcmaster (only when I actually need them), they're the Widia/Greenfield brand. Probably can be found cheaper elsewhere but I have been buying most of my taps from Mcmaster now. The Widia ones work well for me & I'll get them the next day. For speciality ones (for SS or Ti) I buy them from MSC or ebay if I can find them.

Any particular size you're looking for?

Back