Low cost insulin for diabetics

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, has nothing to do with machining, but I'm sure a few of us on here have diabetes. I tried to put this somewhere on here so it would be seen, but not an inappropriate place. if this violates site rules because it's way off topic, then by all means delete my post. My goal here is to help people with this information.

I had a stroke in Feb and lost my regular insurance coverage. Now I'm on my wife's plan and it's no where near as good as I had. My insulin cost went up 10 times over what I was paying.

But my new provider told me about Lilly's affordable insulin program where if you qualify you get a months worth of insulin for $35. You have to call and do a phone interview which takes about 15 minutes, and as long as you don't live in California (not sure why) you should be able to qualify for the discount.

If I help just one person with this, then this was worth my time posting.

Thanks for posting, very important subject, with devastating results if diabetes is not cared for properly, or neglected.

Actually, your diabetes has a lot to do with machining. I have to check my blood sugar at least three times a day and give myself four shots a day. If you are not feeling right and about to run a lathe or whatever, check your glucose first. If it's off, take care of it and wait a while. One time I almost cut a finger off. Annoying things like making stupid mistakes in measuring. Give your self a break, the project can wait. Take care my friend.

I've been diabetic for over a quarter of a century. The price of insulin has gone up way more than inflation. When I was on private insurance my deductible/copay system sucked. I'm on medicare with supplemental insurance now. Other than the donut hole BS my insulin is now fully covered.
While on the topic of diabetes: I've had an insulin pump for 5 years+. Mostly it is good. There are a few issues but I'd get one if you can. The best thing to come along has been my continuous glucose monitor. FreeStyle Libre 14 day. I've had this one for awhile but they have a new model that has built-in warnings to let you know when you go out of range. Very easy to use & quite accurate enough. Just swipe the patch and it downloads to the monitor, which you can down load to a computer.

I watched my dad go through this the last 25 years or so of his life.

While insulin is certainly a life saving medication I would encourage anyone who’s doctor says they’re “pre-diabetic” to make the lifestyle and diet changes necessary to avoid insulin dependency.

I won’t go into what I’ve found out about the subject working with my functional medicine doctor but the increasingly large blood sugar swings that can accompany insulin use have serious long term consequences.

I just finished my lunch (salad from the garden) so it doesn’t have to be all sacrifice.;)

John

The best thing I ever did for my type 2 diabetes of 20+ years was to go Keto.
I had got to the point of requiring insulin as none of the medications were working any more.
Took about two weeks to get fully into it. You must do constant monitoring at the beginning and reduce your medications as your blood sugar drops.
I had to come off the three diabetic meds I was taking and the blood pressure medication after around 5-6 weeks.
After 6 months there was an added bonus of a 30Kg weight loss that also helps blood sugar control.
all in all I was on it for two and a half years with stable blood sugars and blood pressure.
Christmas 2019 was when we started house moving and I started cheating and eating carbs and bingo, withing 8 weeks back onto metformin then around 1 month ago added Januvier to the mix.
I will be going back to keto as soon as we are fully settled and get those bloods back under control again.
The first time round I found it easy to cut all carbs out the diet, this time round I'm finding it harder to start (will power) but I will get there as the benefits are too huge to ignore.
This is only for type two and pre diabetics not for type one diabetics and if you are already on insulin I dont think you can do it but it may help.
It will be doubly hard for Americans to follow the diet due to the phenomenal amount of high fructose corn syrup in most of your foods as an added ingredient.
You will find it very difficult to find a doctor who is willing to let you go this way and mine was very anti untill he saw what was happening to me. Since then he has become a bit of a convert.
Its not for everyone as a lifetime of sweets and carbs is very hard to stop eating if not virtually impossible but it can be done.
If you are type 2 or pre-diabetic and are getting worse please do some serious research on the subject. Unfortunately this has become harder due to the dietry fads latching onto it.

My son is type 1 and insurance is a life saver. No way we afford him all the necessities without going into the poorhouse. His pump alone was 15k.

The insulin pump is a definite game changer, I've known several people who use this technology to live their lives almost like diabetes isn't the life threatening disease they've known all their lives.

Everyone deserves the medical care, and technology they need without bankrupting their family IMHO. My daughter is just starting her career in the field and I have great hope for where research and applied science can take us in the near future.

My comments were meant to encourage folks who are on the edge of type II to look for alternatives to becoming dependent if possible. When my dad became type II insulin dependent he gave up his pilots license (right after earning his VFR - which I helped him by running the radio). As an engineer he followed the doctors directions to the letter and literally became the poster "child" for diabetes management (he was actually on the front of a brochure for his hospital).

He did very well for a couple of decades then he decided that he could just eat and drink what he pleased as long as he used the right amount of insulin. Then he got it wrong and it broke his brain. He went from a guy who read Einstein and the Wall Street Journal to a guy who couldn't pay his utility bills in a few months.

He's been gone just over two years now and I miss him more than I can say. But I'm glad he doesn't have to live like he was the last five years wondering why he couldn't drive, and travel, and just plain understand what was happening anymore....

Stay safe and healthy.

If you can, talk with a Functional Medicine D.O. about your individual health (I found one that even takes my insurance). What you eat and how active you are really makes a difference.

We are a group of people who enjoy finding solutions to problems. There is no greater "problem" any of us face than how to live a healthy and productive life for as long as we can, make this your first priority....

I hope to see you on here ten years from now :grin:

John

Many drug companies have similar plans, Never hurts to look them up.

Also calling around to other pharmacies can save money. Back in Jan, our dog needed a special antibiotic. The Vets cost was over $100 for a weeks worth. The vets assistent called around, and found a family owned pharmack about 10 miles away, that had it for $35..

Back