Low Force Lathe Tool Grind?

If you do it right, the swarf should be a pile of chips, not a brillo pad.

This is the tool design I use. I run the lathe spindle at 175-225 and I feed very aggressively. This pic is a barrel I turned today this section is the middle of a 26" scrap barrel the section to the right is .810" dia to the left is the doc i took. The tight curled chips below the tool are what how they come off. I run cutting oil. If i feel chatter I lay a lead hammer head just behind the tool and it will calm down. I hate turning barrels its a PIA but I usually can get decent results. The crescent shape notch on the leading edge serves no purpose, I bumped it on the wheel when I was grinding it and just left it.
IMG_2121 (1).JPG

That looks great and the tool has a decent radius. Nice job! I often get chips that won't break even using my carbide tooling with factory chip breakers. Maybe when trying to kill chatter with different speeds and feeds I'm jumping over the sweet spot. I'll have to try changing up in finer increments. Thanks.

Here is an excerpt from Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks written by P. O. Ackley on the subject, along with a sketch of the tool bit he used.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is an excerpt from Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks written by P. O. Ackley on the subject, along with a sketch of the tool bit he used.
That tool sounds good! I have one of Ackley's books. I didn't think to look in it. Thanks.

Back