Low profile side-clamps

Shotgun

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to clamp some plate directly to my table, so I'm looking at designs for low profile side clamping. Many of the designs appear to have a set screw that bears on the t-slot bottom and pushes a t-nut up against the T of the slot.

Am I wrong to have a gut wrenching feeling that that is a quick to end up with a broken t-slot?

I have some the Mite-Bite low profile clamps and haven't had any problems. You should be fine as long as you don't let Bubba tighten the clamps.

Ted

How is this any different than the T-nuts in a standard clamping kit? As talvare said, "Don't let Bubba tighten the clamps"

Richard

How is this any different than the T-nuts in a standard clamping kit? As talvare said, "Don't let Bubba tighten the clamps"

Richard
The t-nut pull up and pinch the t-slot arms between the nut and workpiece. One was is a clamp, the other is a spreader.

And the problem, you see, is that I AM Bubba.

It's ok, though. I took all these ideas, mashed them together, and came up with a design that will use my existing t-nuts, and all I have to do is drill some 1/2" bar and cut it on the bandsaw.

I was lucky to find 7 assorted Te-Co toe clamps in used condition on eBay for less than one clamp. I’ve also made some toe style dogs for the clamps to work against for my shaper.

Attachments

• 099E3D11-3661-4989-9CEA-DB7CD6FDD720.jpeg
    099E3D11-3661-4989-9CEA-DB7CD6FDD720.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 7AC36DD2-A4D6-4E9E-BA9A-18CDAAB3042C.jpeg
    7AC36DD2-A4D6-4E9E-BA9A-18CDAAB3042C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 31588AA2-5F11-4341-8B4A-7ACB10625FFF.jpeg
    31588AA2-5F11-4341-8B4A-7ACB10625FFF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
I bought a set and made a set of the hex-cam type clamps. They are ok, work about half as well as I expected. You would have to be not only strong but pretty dumb to hurt a T-slot with these.

I made one of the type the OP linked. It will mark the bottom of the t slot, but it works fine. If you read his book, he has many tips about how best to use them. He hasn't broken any t slots. I'd like to make the rest of them, but just never came up with the material. I find use of the one a much better solution than another clamp.

Back