Low profile workholders

I see this idea as equivalent to common mill vise hold-down clamps like the Starrett 54A, etc.
https://www.lighttoolsupply.com/54a/

hmmmm, I wonder if these two ideas could be combined......

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Brian
A better idea may be to incorporate Mitee-Bite TalonGrip Jaws & Grips. Like the Starrett (or Brown & Sharpe) Hold Downs, the Grips are hardened and bite into the edges of what's being clamped.

My best find at last year's Cabin Fever was a pair of what look like NOS Starrett 54 (6") Hold Downs from the consignments room:

Starrett 54 Holddowns.jpeg

I'm guessing the owner didn't know what they were or how they are used. Apparently many others at the show, including me, also didn't know, but at $30 I wasn't going to leave them sitting on the table; I'm glad I made the purchase. I have since researched and assembled a summary of what they are and how they're used, see attached PDF and also this Thread.

Attachments

• Starrett 54 Hold Downs.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
I made some sacrificial jaws for my low profile workholders.

Sacrificial jaws.JPG

The plate is a piece of 4 x 5 x 3/8" HRS. It's very close to maxing out my little mill's Y axis. The plan is to use my (approximately) 1.25" carbide insert end mill to knock the scale off and flatten the piece. It _is_ slightly warped, in this photo the piece is oriented such that the plate is higher in the middle so it doesn't rock. Hopefully the piece won't warp too much after I skim both sides. We shall see....

I made some sacrificial jaws for my low profile workholders.

View attachment 430091

The plate is a piece of 4 x 5 x 3/8" HRS. It's very close to maxing out my little mill's Y axis. The plan is to use my (approximately) 1.25" carbide insert end mill to knock the scale off and flatten the piece. It _is_ slightly warped, in this photo the piece is oriented such that the plate is higher in the middle so it doesn't rock. Hopefully the piece won't warp too much after I skim both sides. We shall see....

That is a good setup.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back