Lube chart for 1945 Logan 820

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
Good morning. Was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a lube chart for a 1945 Logan 820? I have the operators instructions and parts manual and all it says where to lube but mine is different. For example it says " remove the headless cap screw on the second step of the pulley" but there is one on the first "smallest pulley" and an uncovered hole in the third step "large pulley" that is not threaded but looks like it should be covered. I"ll try to get pictures.
Thanks for any help.

On mine, the hole in the middle step in an oil hole for the bushings inside, which come into play when in back gear. The one on the
smallest step in for a set screw. Don't know about your hole in the largest step: is it a through hole?

You can look down the hole and see the inside. I’m going to take some pictures this evening.

I think there should be one hole for lubing and another to hold the pulley fast to the spindle. The spindle one MAY have two set screws, stacked, which would tip you off. Or, after 70+ years, maybe not. I understand that the manual specifies which pulley, and they ain't where they're supposed to be, but on that machine you may just have to figure it out. Take a look at the parts diagrams in the manual, they may show which is which. Curious about that 'unthreaded' hole, since both the spindle 'hole' and the lube hole would require a set screw.

If it is like the last Logan that I managed to find a section view of the spindle on (and I don't recall the model), the set screw in the smallest pulley is a set screw in fact, and secures either the small spindle gear to the pulley or secures an intermediate part to which the gear attaches. The set screw in the (usually middle) larger pulley is an oil plug. There was nothing shown in the largest pulley on the drawing that I was looking at. In any case, there must never be any set screw in the spindle pulley on any back geared lathe that locks the pulley to the spindle. When in back gear, the pulley turns much faster than the spindle. If you manage to force the oil plug on down and contact the spindle, the first time that you use back gear afterwards, you will either stall the motor, break teeth out of the back gears, or ruin the spindle.This is true on at least all Atlas, Logan and Clausing machines except for those noted below. It may well be true of larger machines but I've not studied them. It is a known but unfortunately not well known problem with all of the Atlas machines except for the 9" and the 10A, 10B and 10E, none of which came with back gears.

Back