Lube for rebuilding machines.

I have used moly assembly grease for rebuilding engines, back in the day, a very light coat on the bearings, wrist pins, oil pump gears, etc. Not on the pistons and rings. That was SOP in the 60's until I was out of the field in the '80's. It worked...
I will on occasion, use General Lubriplate engine assembly grease on certain machine components. It's light enough, that when oil is added to the assembly in normal lubrication of the machine, it will wash out by the oil. Most of the time, I grab the nearest oil can and dab a little oil on the parts being assembled.

Ken

The main lube I used for engine assembly is Lubripate 105. It is a thin off white lithium grease that comes in a large plastic squeeze tube. It has lots of other uses as well. I have several old partial tubes in my box of lubes. The label says "motor assembly lube."

I too use white lithium on rebuilds of small engines , even on car and equipment machines. It's been a mainstay forever . After boring and honing I wipe the cylinder with it and use oil when inserting the piston . Never ever had a failure or a seize up . Valve guides are a different story , I have a can of B&S valve guide lube been using it for forty years and there's nothing better for them. It's suppose to stay slick even hot.
I would use a good machine oil for machinery the lubes are made for certain jobs. Some are tacky to stick, gear oil or bar oil. Others to hold particles to float to a filter ,car engine oils HD 10 wt. Machine oils made to move chips away with wipers , yes use the right lube for the job . In a pinch I'd use a light oil but I'd be getting the right stuff.

Back