Lubricate L00 headstock taper?

steelhorse83

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a Logan 2557 lathe and it is equipped with a L00 taper on the headstock, which I've never been around before. The machine needs cleaned up and I plan to R&R the 3 jaw chuck. A couple videos I found on Youtube show to lightly oil the L00 taper before reinstalling the chuck, but I've always been taught not to lubricate tapers. Since the L00 is a keyed taper, does that make it OK to oil? Obviously, the taper contact isn't solely responsible for driving the chuck.

Any insight on the matter would be appreciated!

~Dan

I do not think it is necessary to oil the taper, at least, not much, a swipe with an oily rag would be OK, I always just took a swipe at both tapers with a (normally) oily hand/fingers to check for chips/ debris.

I do not think it is necessary to oil the taper, at least, not much, a swipe with an oily rag would be OK, I always just took a swipe at both tapers with a (normally) oily hand/fingers to check for chips/ debris.
I put a light wipe of oil on mine the nut pops the taper off so there is not problem getting it loose

Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like there isn't really a need for any oil, but a light wipe won't hurt.

A taper relies on friction to secure a item to it. What's oils purpose, to reduce friction. ergo don't oil it. I worked with mechanics that wanted to oil taper lock bushings for easy future removal. No oil or lubricant of any kind.

My big lathe has a long taper and a key way. Plus it’s held on with a threaded collar. So the taper friction isn’t driving anything.

Back