[4]

Lubrication for open geared Metal Lathes

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Jim Dobson

Active User
Registered
I know everyone has there favourite product, but CRC TAC-2 for me is just absolutely brilliant and lasts and lasts.

Really quietens down the gear noise.

WCraig

Registered
Isn't it a concern that swarf will stick in the gears and cause wear? My understanding was that light oil helps to eject any foreign stuff.

Craig

Jim Dobson

Active User
Registered
Hi Craig, the gears are covered. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours on this lathe and no swarf makes it into this section of the lathe.

Skierdude

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi Jim, I know what you mean about gear noise. I have a Taiwanese lathe (AL960B from Hare and Forbes) and I've been really happy with it but yep, the gears can be noisy. I never seen any sign of swarf or dirt in the covered gear drive area so I will try the TAC-2.
Cheers

SnakeyJ

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I switched to using an aerosol motorcycle chain lube - not to heavy, minimal spray/spread and sticks to the teeth nicely. I haven't had a bike for 9 years, so lasts well.

Jim Dobson

Active User
Registered
Hi Jim, I know what you mean about gear noise. I have a Taiwanese lathe (AL960B from Hare and Forbes) and I've been really happy with it but yep, the gears can be noisy. I never seen any sign of swarf or dirt in the covered gear drive area so I will try the TAC-2.
Cheers
My mate has the AL960, I often wish I'd gotten one when I bought the AL60 from H&F, but then again it does all I want.

[5] [7]