Lubrication for open geared Metal Lathes

Jim Dobson

Active User
Registered
I know everyone has there favourite product, but CRC TAC-2 for me is just absolutely brilliant and lasts and lasts.

Really quietens down the gear noise.

Isn't it a concern that swarf will stick in the gears and cause wear? My understanding was that light oil helps to eject any foreign stuff.

Craig

Hi Craig, the gears are covered. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours on this lathe and no swarf makes it into this section of the lathe.

Hi Jim, I know what you mean about gear noise. I have a Taiwanese lathe (AL960B from Hare and Forbes) and I've been really happy with it but yep, the gears can be noisy. I never seen any sign of swarf or dirt in the covered gear drive area so I will try the TAC-2.
Cheers

I switched to using an aerosol motorcycle chain lube - not to heavy, minimal spray/spread and sticks to the teeth nicely. I haven't had a bike for 9 years, so lasts well.

Hi Jim, I know what you mean about gear noise. I have a Taiwanese lathe (AL960B from Hare and Forbes) and I've been really happy with it but yep, the gears can be noisy. I never seen any sign of swarf or dirt in the covered gear drive area so I will try the TAC-2.
Cheers

My mate has the AL960, I often wish I'd gotten one when I bought the AL60 from H&F, but then again it does all I want.

Back