[Newbie] Lubrication of Electric Motor

kev74

Registered
Registered
I recently bought my first lathe, a Logan 922, that has a 1/2 HP motor on it. I was able to download the Instruction and Parts manuals from the Vintage Machinery site and they have been very helpful.

The manuals don't address lubrication of the electric motor. Its got a Peerless 1/2 HP motor that I'm running on 120v that has two oil cups.

Does anyone have any idea how often and how much I should lube the motor? I've been dribbling a few drops of 20w non-detergent every time I use it, but don't want to over or under do it. Thanks for the help.

Here's a picture of the lathe. :encourage:

Logan 922.jpg

Once a year is probably fine if the oil is getting down in there where it's supposed to be. Maybe twice a year if you
use it a lot- nice lathe by the way
Mark

It depends on the type of oil cup you are referring to. Some oil cups are at the bottom of an oil reservoir and there should be a level of oil maintained. Some motors even have oil rings that rotate around the armature shaft and carry oil up out of said reservoir and onto the shaft as it rotates.

Other oilers supply oil to waste cotton, felt or some other substance that holds and maintains oil around the armature shaft.

So, as usual, it depends...

A picture of the motor showing these oilers might help people make suggestions.

Ted

My older (1970s, 1/2 hp) Craftsman motor says moderate use at least once a year, occasional use as little as every 5 years.

Thanks for the replies!

The oil cups are right on top of the bearings on either side of the motor. A couple of times a year sounds reasonable.

Thanks for the replies!

The oil cups are right on top of the bearings on either side of the motor. A couple of times a year sounds reasonable.

It sounds like these are feeding oil to some type of waste cotton or felt and my guess is that you are correct with a time or two a year. Here's an article from Century where the talk about what oil to use. They are happy with any "motor oil".

https://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/Motor-Doctor-Article.aspx?LangType=1033&id=772

Usually, any oil is better than no oil.

Ted

Back