• WTH HAPPENED TO H-M?

After accidentally deleting a folder, we asked our web host for a backup. As nearly as we can figure, the 1/23 backup did not contain any attachments (over 250000 or avatars for our members). We then asked them for a backup to January 1, 2020, and THAT backup had no attachments or avatars, etc. Their backups were incomplete apparently, and overwrote our files with empty attachment files. We are very sorry for this. We are doing everything and anything we can to right this. HM

Lubrication of Watchmaker's Lathe Spindles

mckay3d

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have several older American Style watchmaker's lathes and want to make sure I use the best type of oil for lubrication of the spindles. All of these are plain bearing, hardened spindles. I use ISO 32 hydraulic oil in the Myford Super 7 spindle, but I think it might be too thick for the WW spindles. So... clock oil, 3-in 1, Nye watch oil, or... does anyone else have a suggestion? I have looked in all the books I have on watchmaker's lathes without success.
Maurice in Utah with dry spindles...

mckay3d

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well Duh! I just googled it and found this recommendation on the NAWCC forum: Spindle Oil ISO 22 (Mobil Velocite #10) - for speeds up to 3600 RPM,
Spindle Oil ISO 10 (Mobil Velocite #6) - for speeds over 6000 RPM
Sounds good to me.
maurice

core-oil

Active User
Registered
Hello Mckay3D I use spindle oil in my Boley & Leinen, No doubt you will have noticed these little lathes are greedy blighters where oil is considered, But I would rather stop on occasions, & give the little thing a drink, than find a main spindle seizing

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
Sorry to sound in late, but I use Mobil Velocite #6 in my Rivett watchmaker's lathe, although I have used Mobil-1 synthetic motor oil for several years will NO bad effects. First I used 5-20W, then switched to 0-20W. The reason I switched to Velocite #6 is that it's specifically made for lathe spindles, and for me 3,400 RPM is the top speed - so #6 does quite well.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code